robberies and insurance

wmm

Registered
hi there.

my daughter has been going to UBA for a few years and earlier this week, she was in a kiosk in palermo when a guy walked in closed the door, pulled out a gun and held up the kiosk and those in it. on the way out, he got the keys from the owner, and locked them all in.

how often does this happen? secondly, since my daughter's purse was stolen, including some electronics which seem incredibly expensive to replace in argentina, what kid of insurance is available? early on in her stay, she had a cell phone and camera stolen by pickpockets, but this is much more brazen.

if this is the norm and will continue, I would like to find a good insurance option to cover her so that at least that part of the experience is not such a hassle.

thanks

Unfortunately it happens more than we would like it to. I owned a store for 3 years and I got held up at gunpoint with the store being full of customers. Today I was sitting in a kiosco / locutorio using the internet (in Palermo). The computers were at the back of the store and everytime a person came in, I thought, they could easily hold this place up and here I am cornered in the back of the store. Thank goodness nothing happened, but these things are a daily ocurrence here now. I would talk to a large insurer such as LaCaja or HSBC Seguros to see if personal coverage is available for items taken from you in the course of a robbery.

Is such a insurance available for tourists also? @Davidglen77

Most Argentine insurance policies only provide coverage for items that are taken in a robbery or a burglary inside the residence of the person who is insured.

steveinbsas said:
Most Argentine insurance policies only provide coverage for items that are taken in a robbery or a burglary inside the residence of the person who is insured.
Of course. If not, everybody would report a robbery of personal items to the insurance company only to replace them for new stuff...sadly.

Our US insurance company (USAA), insures us while traveling, and also covered us when our BsAs condo was broken into, HSBC (BsAs) insurance did not,
Nancy

I second what TomAtAlki said.
Most home owners or renters insurance (from the US). Should cover theft while traveling. Call your insurance company and ask. The only thing you daughter might have to do on her end is file a Police report and show how she purchased her goods (receipts)

Any insurance policy I've ever had here required my DNI. So I would say those policies are probably not available to non-residents. But if your daughter has a student visa and a DNI then she can probably get them. I would call these companies and ask. Good luck.

Just a few more reasons why Argentina needs to permit the concealed carry of handguns NOW!

I tried to look into renter's insurance through Argentine companies, and either I couldn't get a policy without a DNI, or they only offered combination plans that didn't make any sense for me (high fire coverage, low theft coverage).

Back