Safest Neighborhoods For Families?

Sorry to hear about your purse being stolen. Unnerving.
Hope things only look up from here and you find a place you feel comfortable living in.
Welcome!

all of you, thank you SO SO SO MUCH. you just made night #2 here feel a lot better...i will certainly be a lot more careful with stuff and think a money belt sounds very sane.

We have two kids (8 and 13) and live in Belgrano. We send them together across the street to the supermarket to buy stuff. Of course, I sit on my balcony with my sniper rifle overlooking the street. NO NO NO - Just kidding! I would not have a problem putting my family in any of the neighborhoods here except near a vila (Retiro, etc) or in high tourist area (Recoleta, Plaza San Martín, etc). I think if you stay away from those two areas you are pretty safe.

Getting your purse, wallet, backpack, etc stolen is likely to happen here at some point. It's a reminder to be more vigilant and tune your radar to your environment.

Ouch, that was personal Dirtboy! I was with you until you mentioned Recoleta not being a good choice. I live on Ayacucho and there are preteens out on the street on weekends and early evenings. There's a lot of private schools and hence a lot of kids coming back from or going to extra curricular activities. On Sundays they can be found skateboarding or heading for the Recoleta Village Mall. I walk my dog at night. Also because of the tourists there are cops on every other block. There is one part of Recoleta that in my opinion is not safe--day or night- and that is along Libertador adjacent to the parks that back up to Villa 31. These parks are often deserted except for groups of youths who DONT look like they're meeting up to study together! But I totally agree the key to personal and familial safety is the simple practice of street smarts. Number one rule: be aware of thy surroundings! Number two: never carry/wear what you can't afford to lose. Number 3: never look like a tourist.

I live two blocks from Plaza San Martin with my three kids. We live around the corner from the local police station, so feel relatively safe. The problem is that the plaza is not nice to take your kids to. It has a lovely lookin play area in the middle, which is surrounded by bums and low lifes who either live there or come up to spend the day there from the villa down the road. we have to take the kids elsewhere to play in a park, which is a nuisance.
I would love to live around plaza Vicente Lopez if I could afford the prices, beautiful park, lovely play area, beautiful apartments for rent.

Of course crime can happen anywhere. Be careful and aware. As this forum is very city centric , no one ( except me) ever mentions Zona Norte. there are lots of great areas that are generally safe. I live in Olivos , and while there is crime , much less so than other parts of the city.
San Isidro , Martienez , Acususso , all have nice quite , safe areas. lot's of schools and some good restaurants.

Be safe.

All neighborhoods are not safe here hence why I sleep with a 12 gauge pump action loaded with buckshot, a 9mm 17 shot pistol and a .380 compact all within reach.

I recommend this buckshot below BTW. Turns violet criminals into carne picada fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg44jDOL8jo

Pretty much nowhere is safe these days. I live in Palermo Chico/Barrio Parque and my gf has been robbed at knifepoint in broad daylight outside a busy restaurant, in the area. However, we still feel relatively safe here, dont see too much dodgy activity or hear of excessive crime. However Puerto Madero clearly the safest part of this city.

I live in Villa Urquiza and it's quite safe and a very family oriented neighborhood, not touristy at all.

Back