Salt & Vinegar Crisps

Fettucini

Registered
Hi, does anyone know where you can buy salt and vinegar crisps in Buenos Aires? I really miss them as they are my favourite along with a pint of beer, and have never managed to find any here. If the worst comes to the worst I will have to import them from Great Britain and pay a 50% import levvy for my personal consumption and enjoyment.Regards

I will go in on that with you, you will have to expect more like 120% import levy since they charge on the shipping cost as well as the cost of the product and then a few other fees at the customs, I would also like to get some Prawn cocktail and some Worcestershire sauce flavored crisps.

I'm thinking that if you had titled it "Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips", you might be able to find someone with a friend coming from the USA who could bring some Kettle Chips (blue bag) down with them.
Not all Yanks know UK code.

Is this like asking for peanut butter, ketchup and barbeque sauce? If it is.... Someone is going to take offense with your search for food from "back home". :)

Napoleon, the "Kettle Chips" in a light blue bag you are referring to is Cape Cod Salt and Vinegar and yes they are the best cooked naturally in healthy oil. Grazie if someone takes offence for searching for food from back home they should get banned, we all miss something from somewhere!

I remember when you couldn't buy salt n vinegar crisps in France, but they introduced them there i think only about 6 years ago, so there's still hope that they will introduce them here. I'm pretty sure Argentineans would like them.

"Is this like asking for peanut butter, ketchup and barbeque sauce? If it is.... Someone is going to take offense with your search for food from "back home". :)"

PEANUT BUTTER is available at JUMBO on Bullrich next to the mosque.
Skippy Peanut Butter (Crunchy and Creamy)
But it's expensive. A small jar is ~AR$24...

Try to make it yourself if you know how to cook. It can't be THAT hard to slice potatoes up and fry 'em up in a fryer. I make my own food if I can't find any that are available here, such as marinade for steak & BBQ sauce. The ingredients are readily available, all you need to know is the equivalence of the name in Spanish, that's all.

Mike1, That is a good idea but how would you apply the vinegar without making them soggy?

Marinate the potatoes in vinegar for a hour or two before you fry them. The vinegar should be absorbed by the potatoes and give you that distinctive taste. Another alternative is to splash a bit of vinegar on ready-made potato chips with salt. It will be soggy, but it will work out as well. This page http://www.apinchof.com/herbindex1071.html should give you the names & equivalence of each of the spices that you may need to purchase. For Asian-specific spices, I would recommend that you go to Barrio Chino in Belgrano for them. It's a few blocks from the D train exit on Juramento and on Arribeños between 2100-2200.

Back