Salta area itinerary recommendations

airiq

Registered
Hi,

I'm going to be taking a long weekend trip to Salta, and won't be there long enough to see a lot of the sights. After doing a bit of research, is hard to make decision on where to spend our time!

Wanted to see what folks recommended from personal experience to do for the short time we're there to see the "best of" the area.

We'll have three full days.

Day 0 - Arrive evening into SLA
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4 - 3PM flight out of SLA

Thanks in advance!

I think you only need max 1 day in Salta city.

Around Salta, I loved the towns of Cafayate (to the South), Purmamarca and Tilcara (both north of Jujuy). I'm not sure you could see them all even if you rented a car. In Cafayate you have a lot of nice vineyards (some with free wine tastings) and the Quebrada. Purmamarca and Tilcara are to the north and you could see both if you skipped Cafayate but it may be more rushed (and a longer bus journey if you aren't renting a car).

A nice half-day trip is horseback riding in San Lorenzo about 20k outside Salta. The area is beautiful but a bit unsafe (don't go alone).

Enjoy!

Hi there! A lot of this depends on you're mode of transport and what you want to see. Personally, with such a short amount of time I wouldn't spend any time in Salta city. It's a nice city but not better than the surrounding settings. I would do one of 2 things:

1) Explore the Quebradas around Cafayate and stay in Cafayate itself. If you rent a car you can then take a day driving (a slow, windy but spectacular dirt road) to Cachi up Ruta 40 (lots of stops along the way for pics, short hikes, cute towns). Following day you can drive from Cachi over the Cuesta del Obispo (mostly paved road) back into Salta. San Lorenzo is, indeed a nice place but only 5 k form Salta - really close.

2) Other option would be to drive up to Jujuy province and spend some time around Tilcara and Purmamarca and the surrounding towns and area. Lots to do around both places - hiking, sightseeing (Salinas Grandes, etc.) and it's also a great place to buy native crafts, etc.

I would do one or the other of these. Hope this helps. We were there in May and it was our most enjoyable trip during our time in Argentina. Buen viaje!

Thanks for the info. We've read nothing but great things from folks who have traveled around the region, so looking forward to it. Is a pity we only have a short window. More for next time, I guess!

Agreed on the skipping Salta city piece for now. We may just spend the last day, during the morning, around Salta before catching our afternoon flight.

We hadn't considered renting a car. Were thinking of hiring a van. (We're a group of five people.)

However, will take a look at the rental prices to see if the savings are worth it.

Is the region, in general, relatively safe/easy to drive around? Roads clearly marked? I'm personally comfortable driving in most areas/terrain, but will be travelling with my mom and some of her friends, who are a little more on the cautious side! Would be worth having the guide/driver just for their peace of mind if it's not the easiest area to get around!

Thanks!

Lerma valley and Cafayate worth visiting

IMHO Too far unless you are going to stay overnight then forget Jujuy and beyond - Tilcara, Humahuaca well worth seeing but leave till you have more time next time

Why have hassle of driving? On the corner of Plaza 9 Julio down Calle Buenos Aires there are some tourist offices that offer tailored excursions with English speaking guides. Check them out as you can negotiate a good price - we did. For five even better. Be prepared for variable english naturally!

Lots of stuff in the city - the museums are good and the restaurants also. One in Gnl Guermes house enjoyable and good folklore bands terrific even if touristy (either Avenida Espana or Belgrano).

ps. If you are flying in and then getting a combi connection with hotel then dont take the standard tours offered you can get for half the price and less if negotiate direct and haggle

Driving, IMHO, is not a hassle but a great way to enjoy seeing a region, especially if you enjoy driving, and, most importantly, it gives you maximum flexibility. I drove with my wife and 2 young kids and LOVED the drives. I could stop when I wanted, spend lots of time wherever I wanted, etc. Driving on either of these 2 routes is very easily doable - Tilcara is 2 1/2 hours from Salta and about 3 or 3 1/2 hours from Cafayate (much slower, windier road). We left Tilcara at around 9:30 AM and easily made our 2 PM flight from Salta back to BA. If you arrive in the evening in Salta, get a hotel there and then start your driving the next morning. Once again, Salta city is nice but can't compare to the breathtaking scenery afforded by the Cafayate, Cachi, Purmamarca or Tilcara areas.

PhilinBSAS said:
Lerma valley and Cafayate worth visiting

IMHO Too far unless you are going to stay overnight then forget Jujuy and beyond - Tilcara, Humahuaca well worth seeing but leave till you have more time next time

Why have hassle of driving? On the corner of Plaza 9 Julio down Calle Buenos Aires there are some tourist offices that offer tailored excursions with English speaking guides. Check them out as you can negotiate a good price - we did. For five even better. Be prepared for variable english naturally!

Lots of stuff in the city - the museums are good and the restaurants also. One in Gnl Guermes house enjoyable and good folklore bands terrific even if touristy (either Avenida Espana or Belgrano).

ps. If you are flying in and then getting a combi connection with hotel then dont take the standard tours offered you can get for half the price and less if negotiate direct and haggle

One of the nicest things i saw in there was the road between Cafayate and Cachi, but there are no busses there for the main part of the road. So i did it hitchhiking. But if you want to avoid waiting on someone elses car in a desert, hiring one could be a good option.

I did 4 excursions booked from a company through the hostel where I stayed (Backpackers Home- lots of fun if you're young and/or like hostels). All of them are exhausting and take 9-12 hours. They were all AMAZING but I'll tell you in order of priority since you don't have enough time. For Salta City, half a day is fine to see the main square, the mummy in the Alta Montaña Museum and to take the cable lift up the hill to see the view.

Day tours:
1) Quebrada de Humahuaca
2) Cachi
3) Cafayate
4) Altiplano & Salinas Grandes

The order is of priority for what you should see if time doesn't allow you to see all of them. It's not the town of Cachi itself that is beautiful, nor Cafayate, but the drive from Salta with all the changing landscapes and amazing rock formations. But above those is the Quebrada de Humahuaca (towns of Pumamarca, Tilcara, Humahuaca- skip Jujuy!), that whole area north of Salta on the road to Bolivia is absolutely incredible! Whatever you do, you will love it! But definitely don't spend more than half day in the city of Salta; it doesn't compare to the amazing surroundings!!!!

Back