Salta & Jujuy

I've read and heard several times that renting a car is a best way to see this region--

When renting a car is not a possibility, and we don't want to spend the whole time in Salta city but still want to explore the area, does anyone have any particular suggestions? (For tours or other means of getting around).

eva_rgentina said:
When renting a car is not a possibility, and we don't want to spend the whole time in Salta city but still want to explore the area, does anyone have any particular suggestions? (For tours or other means of getting around).
There are organized minibus tours of the region, based in Salta.

The locals use buses - they go everywhere and are the cheapest way of getting around. Plus, you get to meet people you'd never meet otherwise.

Thanks for the good info on this link. I am going to Salta and Jujuy as well and would love any further recommendations, particularly for places to stay and eat. We are driving from BA, so if anyone knows a decent stop midway, that would be extremely helpful as well.
Cheers!

Last February we went to this hotel, in Ceres (Santa Fe, almost in the border with Santiago del Estero):www.portalcereshotel.com.ar
Keep in mind that between Ceres and Santiago Capital, it will be difficult, if not impossible, to find a decent place to sleep.

In Salta, we stayed here: www.altosdebalcarce.com.ar. Everything was very good (for the price) but it can be a bit noisy because is very close to the bars and clubs, and the street becames pedestrian in weekends, so it depends on what you are looking for.

If you prefer to stay in a greener area, check San Lorenzo (12 km from Salta), a year ago me and my family stayed here for a week: http://www.hostaleltatata.com.ar/, and the owner made us feel like we were at our home.

Don´t miss La Casona del Molino (empanadas) and the restaurant in La Quebrada de San Lorenzo (the calzones are the best!).

Only to tell everybody that if you liked Salta you should go to the next "Its going to be famous but not yet" destination: Catamarca!

Visit the city, the valley near it, Recreo, and go west towards Andalgala and Belen, there is Inca ruins there,and the bus that departs to the Argentinean Antofagasta de la Sierra, adventure adventure adventure, only the most extreme travellers go there. And farther west you have the Fiambala area with hot springs overlooking the Andes, gigantic sand dunes between mountains where you can surf in the sand, and the road to Chile (asphalt) where you reach 4.800 mts with your car,and the Chilean side has lakes with strange colours, everything surrounded by 6.000 mts high volcanoes.

When you go back to BA,you can pass through La Rioja, another generally missed gem. I would allocate 15 days to Catamarca if you do everything, at least.

Back