Samosas

No, but I've made them once. Empanada tapas work perfectly, and the spices are pretty readily available.

I just googled a recipe, there are lots and all fairly similar... I baked most but I did pan fry some... not exactly a deep-fried samosa but I enjoyed them. :) Good luck.

I make an onion chutney that I eat with empanadas. I'm at a point in life where I can't eat fried foods, so this is as close to samosas that I get :^(
I do miss the ones stuffed with potatoes and hot green chiles, though. Maybe someday I'll try making my own tez style, as mentioned above.

Every Latin American country I've been to has a variation on the empanada, and I appreciate that in Arg. and Uruguay they bake them instead of deep frying.

You can get them at Dehli Darbar in Microcentro, take away or delivery at AKbar72 on Azcuenaga between Sta Fe and Arenales ( i got them last night for dinner )

I agree with the poster who suggested empanada tapas--big timesaver!

here's a yummy samosa filling from the one cookbook I brought with me to Buenos Aires:

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/indian-root/seasoned-j.html

And a recipe for an amazing cilantro cashew chutney from the same source, sorry I don't know the metric conversions yet!

2 cups lightly packed cilantro leaves
2 medium ripe Roma tomatoes
2 fresh hot green chiles
1 inch piece fresh ginger
1/2 cup toasted cashews or peanuts
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp honey
1 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. One of those long stick mixers people use here works well too!

Enjoy!
BTW, I had good Indian food, but not samosas specifically, at Katmandu on Cordoba 3547. When the waiter heard my accent he asked if I wanted my food spicy like in the US. I said absolutely but accepted his recommendation for medium spicy (which in most Argentine restaurants would be not in the least spicy) thank goodness! It was terrific palak paneer and just this side of being too hot to eat, just how I like it!

Maybe it's just my sweet tooth kicking in, but I read this as "samoas"-- you know, the girl scout cookies. Just in case anybody else's mind is playing tricks on them like that, I have this recipe I've been sitting on to make after I crack that coconut that's been sitting on my counter for a week:

http://www.mind-over-batter.com/whats-baking/homemade-samoa-cookies/

eta: I think that they serve samosas at Mumbai in Palermo (on Gorriti if memory serves) and their food is actually pretty spicy. Can't truly vouch for them as I've never been a big samosa fan (don't eat much fried food).

Nikad, we got Akbar samosas (along with other stuff) last night, too :D I wish they were spicier, but they were delicious all the same.

starlucia said:
Nikad, we got Akbar samosas (along with other stuff) last night, too :D I wish they were spicier, but they were delicious all the same.

I live just 2 blocks from them and even though they do not have anything really hot, the food is very good and the prices really cheap :)

Back