Sao Paulo

Moonwitch

Registered
Has anybody please? Planning a vacation there. Would be great to hear about peoples experiences of the city.

Vacation in Sampa? Odd choice. It's an unlovely city, but there is certainly a wealth of things to do. It's a daunting place to get around if you don't know someone from there, expecially keeping up with what to do at night. Nightlife is sizzling if you have someone to show you around.

There's incredible Japanese food, sushi included, in Liberdade. Ubatuba is the closest beach spot worth visiting. I'm afraid my specific recommendations for restaurants and bars and clubs would be way outdated, as I haven't been since 2004.

I'd probably prefer living in Sao Paulo, but Rio or Florianopolis are far superior as vacation destinations.

Hi
Spent five long days there last November. Didn't really like it at all. We were always being told to watch our back. Went on a city tour and the driver said they have six buildings that date back to the 19th century. Art Gallery (told it was the best in SA) is nothing compared to BA. Wouldn't go back.

Just got back from spending 4 days there earlier this month. Had a good time, but damn is it expensive! (think NYC or a slightly cheaper London) I think the biggest tip would be stay somewhere where it's safe to be out at night. Security seems to be on people's minds and in conversation way more than in BA, and for good reason. We stayed in Itaim, and got what we thought was a deal at $135 a night for a very nice room. The hotels seem to be cheaper on the weekends as they cater to business travelers during the week. The MASP was fun and mostly worth the price of admission (about $10). If you go on sunday they have a nice feria there of antiques and collectables similar to the Feria de San Telmo. The subway is the nicest I've been on anywhere. Shopping was pretty much a bust anywhere we went, since goods are double to triple the prices in BA or the states. The Churrascarias are awesome and worth a visit. I can recommend the Churrascaria "Barbacoa" in Itaim on 65 Rua Dr. Renato Paes de Barros. Phenomenal meal but pricey. Shoot me an email if you want other tips

i spent 5 years of my life in são paulo, and my feelings are of love and hate regarding sampa. If you are planning to enjoy nightlife and bars, i would suggest to stay in Vila Madalena. Around avenida Paulista, Itaim or vila Olimpia are also good options.

An other good "feira" is Praça benedito calixto on saturdays. If you go, a must is to eat feijoada (brasilian national dish with rice and beans) at consulado mineiro.
I wouldn't eat that much meat, specially after buenos aires, but try picanha, a tasty and different cut from the argentine.

Explore liberdade neighbourhood as someone said, and also Bexiga the italian one. I can make you a list of the best italian cantinas.

security: you will listen many horror stories, just don't panic and be more careful than in BA. Do not walk around with huge amounts of money, passport, expensive cameras, etc.

that's for now, feel free to PM me

gábor

Thanks guys. Well I will be going on my own (and renewing my visa) so it won't be a vacation vacation. I'm starting to think it may not be a good city to travel to solo... It would be great to see the city and experience the nightlife. May PM some of you soon. I need to look into the costing to see how much it would actually cost.

Back