Scam City - Buenos Aires (Travel & Escape Channel)

I had a woman taxista the other night to knowing her round downtown, she would have clipped.a tourist for lots of cash I ended up geeing her urn by turn directions this place is not fantasy land

fifs2 said:
And Egypt has the most corrupt. Every taxi ride I had there was an ordeal.

Ha ha God that brings back memories..every ride is a negotiation and a chance for a quick grope as you get out...[/quote]

Yeeesh! I don't think I'd EVER want to grope a taxi driver! :D

scotttswan said:
I had friends over and they got counterfeited notes from a banco galicia cash machine!

Heard that story more than once. First places I distrust are the banks. :eek:

Despite having had the run around once or twice I vote for the radio-taxi drivers here

Maybe diversions due to actually not knowing the way!! So I always ask and offer to direct - pleasantly and politely and talk about how interesting a city Buenos Aries is - which is true

Here you can have a discussion with a taxi driver and get an respectful, informed articulate and witty reply even from one showing the blue/yellow of Boca colours

But Quality of Driving varies from five to twelve on the Fangio scale.

In London be prepared either for Mein Kampf or the manifesto of the British National Party every time!!

Driving standards much better every time however - and he/she knows every road, twist, turn and every route no argument

Is there a correlation?

NB if in London then whatever you do dont ask a cabbie about how excited he is about having the Olympics in London this summer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/16/etiquette-guide-visitors-london-olympics?newsfeed=true

BEWARE: Radio-cab is a subscription service, they pay for the service and are not necessarily affiliated to the service provider.
They appear to be safer but the markings on the vehicle don't mean much really.

Not sure what to think about this show - obviously it's good television if they an find a scammer, so the reportage isn't exactly "Credible."

And I haven't lived in BA for about a year -- but I can't remember the last time a taxi costed me 90 pesos...which is what happens in one scene with the cab driver who rips them off with a "falso". Feels very fake (the show).

Back