School violence in Argentina

"Matty" said:
you can not walk in the street relaxed as in LA because you are attacked by High school students.So that is nothing new for you Americans...
response: I am not sure where you get this info but I can walk the streets of LA just fine. I have never heard or seen anyone get attacked in LA even in East LA - maybe in the movies and TV - yeah. And let us not forget that violence is everywhere and they feed on fear. My teacher walks Culver City at night - because she is the teacher of those HS students who you "think and categorize" as will "attack" you....Sad when people lump us all in one general category..I wonder how they would feel if we do the same with the Portenos, Argentinians...
I was about to be attacked in LA what is more, a policeman told me not to walk two more blocks from where I was not to be attacked.

span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

"markus" said:
I was about to be attacked in LA what is more, a policeman told me not to walk two more blocks from where I was not to be attacked.
...And this differs from Argentina how exactly??? With all the crime going on here I don't see why an argentine would be so shocked by LA... Don't you see all the people that are attacked in Buenos Aires on a regular basis?
I think it's time you argentines stop being so hypocritical and start looking at your own violence. Last time I checked your society wasn't exactly a beacon of peace...

This argument about which place is worse for crime has appeared in this website many times. I think the issue for a lot of people here is that in addition to very poor salaries, poor public services, constant instalbility and corruption, etc. they have to put up with terrible crime. BA USED TO BE A SAFE CITY. I have watched the decline. A lot of US cities have inner city crime problems but professionals and others with good jobs invariably live in suburbs FAR from the problems. Even if they are somewhat affected by crime (never to the extent here in BA) they have the compensation of good salaries, stable government and many other benefits of the 1st world. In Europe there is the added benefit of an extensive free social service network so the crime problems are a bit easier to tolerate.

"sergio" said:
. . . . I think the issue for a lot of people here is that in addition to very poor salaries, poor public services, constant instalbility and corruption, etc. they have to put up with terrible crime. BA USED TO BE A SAFE CITY. I have watched the decline. . . .
This is interesting, Sergio. I've heard as much from older Argentine friends and cousins, usually accompanied by unfavorable comparisons with Western Europe and the United States.
Would you be so kind as to sketch what you think the causes of the decline are and whether it can be reversed? I'd be grateful for your thoughtful analysis.

"Matty" said:
 you can not walk in the street relaxed as in LA because you are attacked by High school students.So  that is nothing new for you Americans... 
response: I am not sure where you get this info but I can walk the streets of LA just fine. I have never heard or seen anyone get attacked in LA even in East LA - maybe in the movies and TV - yeah.  And let us not forget that violence is everywhere and they feed on fear. My teacher walks Culver City at night - because she is the teacher of those HS students who you "think and categorize" as will "attack" you....Sad when people lump us all in one general category..I wonder how they would feel if we do the same with the Portenos, Argentinians...

You have got to be JOKING !! Walk the streets of LA ? there's shootings everyday, all over town, especially in the poor areas. Walk LA streets at night? No thanks, I'd rather try my luck at being a "Human Cannon Ball" in the circus......

Please get "informed" Matty, thanks.......Dudester

Excuse me? "get informed" on what? I walked the street of LA, I survived. What is there to get informed about? It is not the wild, wild west or the OK Corral. There are shootings but again you could be standing in your kitchen and some dufus shoots at you - anywhere. People watch too much TV and gang banging news. I have cousins who live in Culver City - thus a teacher of mine lives there - what is wrong with that? Your information is all TV derived, you should get your info right. Just because it is in the internet and on TV does not mean that is all that you know. For a Dudester _ i wonder what part of Dudeville you come from. You seem to not know where the shooting is happening in California, or maybe you should watch out - the shooter is behind you. Boo!

Yo, Batty Matty... ask ANYBODY in a wheel chair that was paralyzed by a stray bullet (or maybe not so stray, maybe a hold up or robbery) if they planned to get shot that day when they were eating breakfast or sitting on the toilet that morning thinking about getting to work on time. It doesn't happen till IT HAPPENS !!! Just like a car accident, you don't know it's coming till you're in the middle of it with your body all twisted up and bleeding. If one could predict the horrible events in ones life one would AVOID THEM. We can't KNOW so we learn by seeing and hearing what happens to OTHER people in certain PLACES and/or SITUATIONS. If I know a certain airline has a bad safety record I AVOID IT. If a car has a bad safety rating I don't BUY IT. If a certain area is known for being dangerous you STAY AWAY !!!! GET IT?!?!?!

Knock on wood but I've been to about 80 countries, traveling a great deal of my adult life and the worst thing that's happened to me on the road is getting in a slight auto (Taxi) Accident on the way to the airport in Hong Kong. It's no fluke, I've been VERY careful and had a bit of luck (but the careful part has been much more important). You seem to live in some kind of fantasy/dream land Matty, how old are you? I say about 16 or something. Hope you make it through this dangerous life in one piece - reality is a bitch but it's better than having your head in the clouds little one.... Dudester

Thanks. I just wonder if you know what you are saying if BOCA is known as negative as it is and tourist avoid them - wonder how that would be.
Sir, flaunting your 80 country travel does not impress me.
And I am after all in Buenos Aires and in this area people are known to have their heads in the clouds. Let me tell you I have never seen anybody leave a hit and run as much as I did at the corner of Libertador and JNewberry. The dog walker died - but the car just went on going. Fabulous I thought! What a show of respect for human life. But, here we deal with reality as it unfolds every day. Exciting so far. Thanks for your concern.

Back