Schools for 8 year old boy - need suggestion

mayuspope

Registered
Hi everyone,

I am a first time poster and was hoping to get some information on local schools in Recoleta, Barrio Norte, or Palermo. The catch is that it would only be for a month, in June. This is for my 8 year old son and I really want him to experience the BA culture and also improve his Spanish. My parents are from Argentina and I speak fluently, however my kids are a different story. I grew spending my summers down in BA and would love for my kids to have a similar experience.

If anyone knows of a local school that would be willing to host a student for a month, please pass along the information.

Saludos!
Mariana

I can't help you with names of schools, just cdon't choose a public one. They wont help him at all. They just made it worse on my 8 year old. Going to public this year.

I think you should find a Spanish-only school. Mine (didn't speak a word of Spanish) are in a bilingual school and everybody just loves to talk English with them. After 1 year they understand about everything, but they hardly speak...

katti said:
I think you should find a Spanish-only school. Mine (didn't speak a word of Spanish) are in a bilingual school and everybody just loves to talk English with them. After 1 year they understand about everything, but they hardly speak...
Understanding comes first. Then they will speak, write, type and chat. And chat, and chat.

I highly doubt any school will admit him for one month so it might not be a good idea to say that. Also bare in mind that unless he is Argentine you will be asked for some specific paperwork, you migh want to ask in advance.

nikad said:
I highly doubt any school will admit him for one month so it might not be a good idea to say that. Also bare in mind that unless he is Argentine you will be asked for some specific paperwork, you migh want to ask in advance.

As I mentioned on a previous post I met a family skiing who send their kids to Argentine school every US summer so as to improve their Spanish. They are`nt Argentine - only the grandmother is the connection. They were sending them to Washington Day School in Belgrano but I suspect any private school will be happy to welcome your son for 1. the fees and 2. the kudos of a real native speaker. Re the fees be warned they may try to charge you annual matricualtion and the monthly fee and don`t forget the uniform so be prepared to be spending upwards of ARS8000 for that one month. Re the comment of them speaking English to your son, it is unlikely at 8yrds old when they have so much to say and not enough time to fit it all in so they will babble away at your child in Spanish and expect him to get with the Spanish prgram. Good luck with this - I think it`s a great gift to give your kids even if they hate it at the time.

Back