Schools For Sweet Boys

arielm

Registered
Hi guys - i hope i'm not over posting here! Everyone has been so helpful. So, this may sound strange, but i wanted to get any potential input on where to send my very sweet 6 year old son to school. He's sensitive, enthusiastic, not 'girly' but certainly not macho or athletic. His spanish is ok - and he's very social and smart, so i think he'll be ok thrown into a completely spanish speaking school. I worry however about really snobby kids or bullies. He just finished kindergarden at a waldorf like school in the US and is very 'crafty' and into 'science.' I suddenly realized that sending him to a bilingual school maybe a very bad idea if they're really just teaching kids basic english, in which case he'll be bored out of his mind.

We are set up to go tour/see schools next week to begin after break. Any input on these would ROCK!
- Arco Iris
- Belgrano Day
- Washington
- Jacaranda in Nunez
- New Model

Muchas gracias!

We live further north than these schools and we have only been here since January so I can't really advise about the schools you listed. I have a friend whose sons were very bored during the 4 hours of afternoon English. She did also mention that the schools can be a little wilder than in the US and her boys had to learn to stick up for themselves more than they were used to since the teachers tended to let kids work things out on their own rather than get involved.

You can see if a school would be willing to just let him come for the morning part of the day, in Spanish. Some of the schools near us have that option. One here that we looked at fulfills it's government requirements in the morning and then the afternoon portions are optional - English 3 afternoons a week, sports one afternoon, drama one afternoon and you can pick and choose which days you want to stay, if any.

Good luck!

Since your child has seemingly thrived in a Waldorf enviroment, suggest you consider visiting the local Waldorf schools here in Cap Fed? The schools mentioned on your list are worlds apart from the Waldorf concept...perhaps you already are aware of this and are making a conscious choice. Have first hand experience with Jaccaranda and if you would like to hear our experience, would be willing to share. We withdrew our child after 3 months. Keep in mind that many schools do not have any green space for the children to play at recess and do not offer playground equipment. Many schools have eliminated Art & Music in favor of English and computers. Pm me if you like.

Hi guys - i hope i'm not over posting here! Everyone has been so helpful. So, this may sound strange, but i wanted to get any potential input on where to send my very sweet 6 year old son to school. He's sensitive, enthusiastic, not 'girly' but certainly not macho or athletic. His spanish is ok - and he's very social and smart, so i think he'll be ok thrown into a completely spanish speaking school. I worry however about really snobby kids or bullies. He just finished kindergarden at a waldorf like school in the US and is very 'crafty' and into 'science.' I suddenly realized that sending him to a bilingual school maybe a very bad idea if they're really just teaching kids basic english, in which case he'll be bored out of his mind.

We are set up to go tour/see schools next week to begin after break. Any input on these would ROCK!
- Arco Iris
- Belgrano Day
- Washington
- Jacaranda in Nunez
- New Model

Muchas gracias!
You need to amp up your research and start thinking about the kid instead of what you think..... you think. Is your sweet kid going to be here forever? Is he going back to somewhere to school. Will the credits transfer. Go visit these schools.

You need to amp up your research and start thinking about the kid instead of what you think..... you think. Is your sweet kid going to be here forever? Is he going back to somewhere to school. Will the credits transfer. Go visit these schools.

Amp up your research?? Why do I get a visual of a hammer coming down over and over again on top of this mother's head? When is what a mother thinks so irrelevant?
If we are putting on our thinking caps then the bigger question for those of us who have sweet kids and want to retain that sweetness is how do we plot out an educational plan that will provide our child with enough challenge to make life interesting, to retain their compasionate humaness and raise/educate them to be able to contribute to the greater good. Another question is what are the schools contributing toward preparing our children for the future. Read the news. Do we really want to groom more employees for the corporations, the military, the munitions industries? Do we really think a job at Dow Chemical, Monsanto or Bank of America will bring them happiness? Add up the costs of educating a child in for profit private school for 12 years. What return do you expect to get on that investment? Then University...we all know what that costs. We all know what return that has given to the thousands of students who are jobless and in dibilitating debt from their student loans. So what return can parents expect from this process and how do we keep it healthy for our children so they can thrive now and in the future?

Hi there,

We are French and we sent our daughter to the Lycee Francaise in Belgrano. We withdrew her after one month because it was not our kind of cookie but it maybe yours. They do have a lot of activities and the kids are progressively introduced to French (and English) while having most of the courses in Spanish.

Good luck!

Back