Seasons greetings from the Florida DMV

fred mertz

Registered
I just read in the Miami Herald online that as of 1 January 2010, new rules will go into effect for renewing a Florida driver´s license. One of the requirements will be that one will have to furnish proof of Florida residency. Since my Florida license expires next summer, I´ll be looking forward to my forthcoming and last trip to the Sunshine state. Cést la vie.

I got my drivers license in Arizona, it expires when I am 65.

Isn't proving residency pretty easy? In Missouri, my home state, there are numerous documents that you can use to prove residency. For example, a bank statement or a voter registration card could be used as proof of residency. (My mail, while I am away, is handled by my parents.) Does it not work this way in Florida?

I have never lived in Florida and have been using a friend´s Florida address to get a driver´s license. The new rules are in order to prove residency one need to present two (2) of the following; mortgage statement, Fla voter registration card, a utility bill from the past 2 months and a Fla vehicle registration or title. I´m sure that there are many permanent residents living in Argentina who will be surprised that they won´t be able to renew their licenses. If Florida is the first to enact this ruling it probably won´t be the last.

fred mertz said:
I have never lived in Florida and have been using a friend´s Florida address to get a driver´s license. The new rules are in order to prove residency one need to present two (2) of the following; mortgage statement, Fla voter registration card, a utility bill from the past 2 months and a Fla vehicle registration or title. I´m sure that there are many permanent residents living in Argentina who will be surprised that they won´t be able to renew their licenses. If Florida is the first to enact this ruling it probably won´t be the last.

But you've never lived in Florida? Why do you/should you have a Florida license?

Any reason why you need to renew your driving licence in the US while most countries grant that freedom for a life time unless you are a bad driver?

Fred, it has been this way in Missouri for years. I'm surprised it has taken Florida this long to implement this policy.

You could just ask your friend to put the water bill in your name and register to vote in Florida.

Back