Selling car to Argentine Person

DesOC

Registered
Hi,

Does anybody have any idea how to go about changing the title of a car to and Argentine person?

I have a US registered car and want to sell it to a local.

Please, any help would be great.

Thanks,

Desmond

.......lol
That would solve all your problems with the Argentine bureaucracy... No?

I think if you sell the car to an Argentinian, you or he will have to pay a substantial import tax. Most transactions are managed with the help of a GESTOR, which is basically a guy who knows how to work the system. I say this never having gone through the process myself, but after conducting a lot of research into car sales and purchases in the past couple of weeks.

I am looking for a car, but I don't know how to transfer ownership on an American registered vehicle from here. In other words, if I get pulled over with a pink slip that has your name on it, I think the cops would nail me. But if you can figure out how that can be done, I would mos def want to take a serious look at the vehicle.

Looks like exactly what you need for your road trip FAS...
Hope the bureaucracy is something you can get around in this case...good luck and bon voyage :)

FAS said:
Dude, sell the car to me

aha! this is what I proposed on your thread. this seems your best solution, but it does come with it's own headaches!

FAS said:
I am looking for a car, but I don't know how to transfer ownership on an American registered vehicle from here. In other words, if I get pulled over with a pink slip that has your name on it, I think the cops would nail me. But if you can figure out how that can be done, I would mos def want to take a serious look at the vehicle.

Do it in the states and then have the paperwork sent via FedEx to Argentina. I'm sure there's a way...

Sleuth said:
Do it in the states and then have the paperwork sent via FedEx to Argentina. I'm sure there's a way...

Hi guys, no, there is no way to sell a car registered abroad! First thing the real owner should do is formally import the car under his name. To do so, you must have permanent visa (not temporary) and you would import it WITH NO PAYMENT OF TAXES if this is the case you are going to live in Argentina, only (assuming you are a foreigner). The formal procedure is hard and long, but you can get it. Once you have the car imported, then you can not sell it for a year.

You can write me to [email protected]

Regards

My understanding of the situation is similar to what argenvans says. A local argentinian cannot buy a foreign registered used car here in Argentina. The only way for a local to buy a used car from the US in the country is 1) to be a diplomat, or 2) live abroad for 1 year and bring the car in as a personal item (this can only be done once.) "Taxes" are not what prohibits locals from buying foreign used cars. A local argentinian can, however, import a new car and pay substantial taxes in the 100% range. At least that is my understanding.

Also, a foreigner here should in theory have no problem buying the car. As Sleuth said, they need to get the proper paperwork sent from the DMV in the US to Argentina. The problem is the foreigner will only be able to keep the car in the country for the duration of their respective visa. So, those of us here on 3 month tourist visas would have to drive the car to Uruguay every three months. On top of this, no argentinian would be allowed to drive it.

If this info is not correct, please let me know, cause I have been wanting to either buy a car from a foreigner or bring my car in from the US. I am sick of driving my crappy (and wildly over-priced) vw golf.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ben Expat Life 5
nicoenarg Expat Life 0
J Services Offered 0
E Expat Life 9
A Expat Life 2
Back