Series

NickBA

Registered
Does anyone know of a good, spanish-speaking tv show? I know of lots of spanish speakers who improved their english a lot by watching TV series from the US, and the idea is to do the same with a spanish series; however I can't bring myself to watch US series dubbed in Spanish. Any suggestions? Thanks

Try these:

Graduados (Argentina)
Bety la fea (Colombia)
Los exitosos Pérez (Mexico) (I think there's an argy version prior to this one).

Those are all sitcoms. There are some really great shows but more dramatic. Produced by HBO and Fox or some other network:

Capadocia
Epitafios

And don't forget the real telenovelas: Maria la del Barrio, Maria Mercedes and Marimar. (only if you're desperate).

Not aware that we produce any decent series worth recommending. The industry mostly delivers soap operas for the brain damaged.

There were a couple of fictions that you might be able to find on DVD, likely as bootlegs at Parque Rivadavia. One was "Mujeres asesinas" and the other was " los Simuladores". "Epitafios was good also. You might still be able t find them on the internet.

There are a few excellent movies availble on DVD, El secreto de sus ojos (won the Oscar) is top notch, also Nueve Reinas. Hombre mirando al sudeste and Lado oscuro del corazón. Memorable argie movies are few and far apart, I only pay attention to those. Normally I avoid local productions.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor%C3%ADa:Series_de_televisi%C3%B3n_de_Argentina

http://pelisargentinas.com/

I would recommend to watch morning shows, like Desayuno Americano, or AM/PM (record if necessary). In these shows the subjects are: insecurity, Subway strikes, Inflation, Dollar blue, and other current issues that will expose you to the needed street vocabulary...!! Soap opera series from Venezuela or Colombia will they help? Maybe for your love life...!!

The problem with a lot of the panel shows is that they move very fast and people talk over each other a lot, there's a lot of camera cuts to different angles, and sound effects. Unless you're already pretty fluent it's very hard to keep up.

The more "serious" news panels are a bit better for not so much talking over each other... ie -- and I can't believe I'm going to recommend -- 6 7 8. They intersperse a lot of these videos with cuts and sound effects (and colloquialisms) with panel discussions where-- compared to other shows-- no one interrupts each other because everyone on the panel has the same uniform pro-CFK she-can't-do-no-wrong woohoo Campora attitude.

Otherwise newsreaders in general speak slower and more clearly so any of the morning news / 24 hrs news channels can help quite a bit.

I like watching Epitafios when I am in El Norte- its a serial killer cop show, shot in BsAs, and although it claims to be in "neutral" spanish, you can easily pick out the Porteno accents.

There are lots of good movies shot in Argentina as well- good for picking up Rio Platenese, as generic Mexican narcotrafficante films or Spanish vampire movies are practically in a different language.

I recently saw El Ultimo Bandoneon, for example, about a young girl trying to find an affordable Bandoneon to play in tango groups. Great people, all real- its a documentary.

I like En Terapia on TV Publica. All episodes are available online for free - http://blogosfera.tvpublica.com.ar/enterapia/
I also found that watching telenovelas online really helped :) there are a ton of them online. Also Los Simuladores as someone mentioned before. Movies like Nueve Reinas and Un Cuento Chino are good but I find that I need subtitles on to follow as they speak so fast and there's a lot of lunfardo.

They definitely speak fast but I still crack up every time I watch "Casados con hijos"... the Argentine version of "Married With Children." It's nothing like the original except in basic plot stuff, and it is outrageous and entertaining (in true Argentine fashion).

I also recommend watching comedic movies, even though you might miss some dialogue the plot lines are entertaining and often easy to follow. Igualita a mi, Un novio para mi mujer, Un argentino en Nueva York ... I loved all of these when I was first learning to keep up here!

StuckLikeGlue said:
I also recommend watching comedic movies, even though you might miss some dialogue the plot lines are entertaining and often easy to follow. Igualita a mi, Un novio para mi mujer, Un argentino en Nueva York ... I loved all of these when I was first learning to keep up here!

I think this is a good comment, I have been here over 10 months (came with no spanish), tried to watch un novio para mi mujer a few months ago and struggled but watched it a few weeks back and although didnt understand everything, kept up with it and remained interested. Its also good training for the ear, obviously.

I also wouldnt underrate the Argentina soapies, yes ok its not necessarily quality TV, but if you can handle it its definitely good help with the rioplatense spanish. Sos mi hombre which just started is very Argentine and although I dont understand all, once again can follow it.

Back