Shipping A Dog

Ibindarte

Registered
Hello,

I am trying to bring/ship a dog to Argentina. Has anyone done this in the past? Any insight? What to watch out for? Do I need a dog passport? Are there special documents that "K" demands or fees to line her pockets?

There have been threads on this. FYI - we have friends who brought a dog into country fairly easily but getting it back out cost them about $6000US. Don't know the details but the issues involved vet certifications, brokers' fees, etc. Some airlines have stopped shipping dogs on long-haul flights. The ones that still do have stringent requirements and are expensive.

Good luck!

There have been threads on this. FYI - we have friends who brought a dog into country fairly easily but getting it back out cost them about $6000US. Don't know the details but the issues involved vet certifications, brokers' fees, etc. Some airlines have stopped shipping dogs on long-haul flights. The ones that still do have stringent requirements and are expensive.

Good luck!
Thank you - I was digging through old threads but couldn't find them The search didn't help either.

Hi,
I brought my dog from UK to Arg in March. Import reqs for pets are on the SENASA home page. You will need a Health cert from the local (private) vet authorised by the vet authority in the country of origin (eg USDA if shipping from the USA).
It is important to meet the SENASA reqs - and I sent the cert to them ahead of the arrival of the dog, to make sure.
I did not have to pay any import duty or tax.
Let me know if you want more detailed info.
Cheers, Sarah

Hi, my experience was similar to SarahAnn. I just had all the papers for Sensa completed and paid a small processing fee (about $600 pesos per pet) when I arrived. It was pretty simple and the dogs have traveled from BA to NY and back again on multiple occasions. However, I always accompanied my pets on the flight, so I never technically shipped them alone - which AA told me they do not do.

Ideally, it is best to have your pet travel with you on the plane. Have heard alerts about the dangers of sending your pet on Delta & United in cargo. So would avoid these airlines. Make sure you have the required paperwork done in advance or you will be denied entry to Argentina and be required to return to the point of departure on the next available flight. The requirements depend upon which state you are residing.
Check out the Pet Travel web site for more information.

Sarah, hi!

I have my dog provisionally booked on a BA flight to BA ... from heathrow in just over a fortnight - I have had the most awful quotes for importation taxes and fees etc and I am so upset about it all ... I would be so so grateful if you could let me know if you used anyone to help you on your dog's arrival here and how you did it all... I have just looked on the Senasa site and can't seem to find the info you must have found ... and the certificate of which you speak from my UK vet - is that the Defra one?
Sorry all these questions but I have been told i might have to pay up to $1000 just to have him released (on top of the £1000 BA are charging)!!! He is a tiny Jack Russell/ dachsund and not a polo pony! Oh and I am already here so he'll be travelling alone ... :-(
josie

Hi Josie,
I used British Air from Heathrow. There are some disadvantages but you don´t have much choice if you want a direct flight (which you do). I traveled on the same flight but it makes little difference at the arrival - stupid British is the only airline that takes the dog direct to the Customs bonded area (instead of letting them come out on the luggage belt). So you have to drag over to the customs to get the dog released, which they will do after a certain amount of stuffing around.
I advise you to take an Argentine with you to deal with that - even if you speak good spanish, it is much easier to deal with officialdom if you are or have with you a local (just the same as the UK or Australia.....
Might be easier to discuss on the phone. I will send you a message with my phone number here in BA.
Don´t worry too much - the dog should cope with it (Jack Russells are very strong minded!)
Cheers, Sarah

Back