Shipping a macbook from D.C to B.A

Robino

Registered
Hi,

Just want to know something: if I ship à laptop to B.A from Washigton D.C, will I get charged extra duty fees?

7000 ARS for the unibody white macbook? that's 1 350 €... Now I understand why my girlfriend says electronic is expensive in B.A...

It is getting to the point with somethings that it is cheaper to go to the USA, buy the product and take your chances with customs. You will definitely pay the duties if they are shipped to you here.

Well thank you for your replies, I won't take this risk and will buy one in Europe before flying to B.A. (I wanted to buy from the American refurb store, ship to an American friend who would have shipped it to me in Argentina then...).

Robino said:
Are you kidding??

I never kid. *just kidding.

But seriously, I'm not joking about the import taxes. Depending on where in Europe you are, you are better off having it sent to you there or just buying on at home before you arrive here.

The most serious problem though is that it has a good chance of never actually arriving to you in BA.

Robino said:
Well thank you for your replies, I won't take this risk and will buy one in Europe before flying to B.A. (I wanted to buy from the American refurb store, ship to an American friend who would have shipped it to me in Argentina then...).

Buy the computer ASAP and use it as much as possible before coming. Do not wait until the last minute to buy your computer! There was a post a month or two ago from someone who had a friend bring a computer to him from the States. The OS had been activated the night before and ADUANA (customs) charged a 50% tax on the computer.

For my next computer I will have my brother buy it, and use it for a month or two before I even see it. It will have crap all over the desktop and will obviously not be brand new.

BA isn't the 1st World. Don't treat it like it is. You will feel all sorts of pain if you do.

Napoleon said:
Buy the computer ASAP and use it as much as possible before coming. Do not wait until the last minute to buy your computer! There was a post a month or two ago from someone who had a friend bring a computer to him from the States. The OS had been activated the night before and ADUANA (customs) charged a 50% tax on the computer.

For my next computer I will have my brother buy it, and use it for a month or two before I even see it. It will have crap all over the desktop and will obviously not be brand new.

BA isn't the 1st World. Don't treat it like it is. You will feel all sorts of pain if you do.

I don't get this one. They interrogated the guy or girl for one laptop and made them turn it on? I don't see how this would've happened if all the stickers and packaging were taken off. Laptops can still look new after a few months with people who are not slobs....and having a lot of stuff on the desktop doesn't necessarily mean anything. I despise the clutter so I put them in folders.

Not trying to get on you, this just doesn't seem like the Argentine customs at EZE. Maybe the person had several laptops or several electronic items? Though even if it was two laptops it doesn't seem abnormal to me for a person to have two laptops--one for leisure and one for "bank statements, paying bills" etc back in the states or wherever.

Just wondering.

Back