Shipping clothes from USA

NOLAchef

Registered
Hola gente!

I'm considering having some of my clothes & shoes (used) shipped here from the states. I've been wearing the same stuff for a year and refuse to buy anything since I have loads of it back home and the quality & prices here are not very appealing. I've had about five boxes of kitchen condiments/bath stuff shipped here and haven't had any issues at Retiro with paying taxes on ANYTHING. Will this be the same case for clothes/shoes? Is their an apparel tax? Even if the clothes aren't new but look relatively new will they give me shit or does it all depend on who is handling your package and what kind of mood they're in?

Please send over any knowledge or experiences that you've had with shipping clothes/shoes!

Gracias and enjoy the long weekend!!!

If they see the clothes are not new you won't have any problems with customs. Avoid original package and labels and brand new clothes, and you should be fine. As for buying here, I have a few tips where to find unexpensive clothes (quality may vary but there are good places too) away from turist usual sites.

Can I ask who you shipped with when you did your kitchen/bathroom shipment? I'm in the same spot and need to bring a few boxes of stuff down to BA that won't fit into my two allowed suitcases on my flight. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

I have had friends ship me things via USPS priority mail. Don't do express or you will have to pay outrageous rates, both shipper and receiver. These were basic items- Mr. Brommer's Magical Soap, cosmetics, face creams, spices, dried chilis, peanut butter m&m's... I haven't sent any electronics. When filling out the paperwork at the shipping station claim a very low dollar amount of the worth and make a list of the things in the box (socks, mustard, chapstick, etc) and you're less likely to have to open it at Retiro and go through every item.

It might be cheaper to pay excess baggage fees (if possible) to bring more than two bags. Last time I flew into EZE I had five suitcases. Four of them weighed 100lbs and one weighed 75. My carry on bag was full of books and weighed at least 40lbs.

None of the bags were opened by customs. I declared just under $300 USD in new items.

They didn't ask what was in the bags, only if I was traveling alone. Then they waved me through.

I paid a total of $750 USD for 375 extra pounds. That's only $2 USD per pound.

(I didn't have any electronics.)

Shipping a similar quantity of used clothes might not be wise. It's "techincally" illegal. One 50 pound box box full of used clothes and shoes might be OK, but you will be at the mercy of the aduana unless (somehow) it gets delivers directly to your door. A few members have used the USPS and didn't have a problem. Far more have had to deal with customs (especially those who used FedEx, UPS, etc.) and most of them had to pay.

A few who used the USPS never received anything.

Back