Shipping Concerns

Dublin2BuenosAires

Registered
Am I going to have problems shipping from Europe (Ireland) to BA? We will be travelling for a month while our belongings are shipped to BA, our stuff's arrival will more or less coincide with our arrival.

Are we likely to have problems with customs shipping clothes, a couple of laptops, some small ornaments (stuff from Asia that we don't want to discard) , books-dvds-cd's ? I know we should get rid of the DVD's a bring them on a media player, however that is a debate I lost in the planning phase. Plan is to ship from Ireland to our apartment in BA, are we likely to receive goods to the door or will we need to face the horrors of a trip to customs?

Any advice on the best way to transfer stuff over is much appreciated. Unfortunately, don't do it is not an option. OH is returning from Ireland with 10 years worth of stuff and is reluctant to relinquish all of it. We can't pay extra and travel with all our bags as before we arrive we will be honeymooning in Asia. We're heading east and everything else is heading west, hopefully to coincide with our arrival.

I expect many issues with our plan, any shipping advice will be much appreciated. Can we expect stuff to be delivered door to door ?

Are we likely to have problems with customs shipping clothes, a couple of laptops, some small ornaments (stuff from Asia that we don't want to discard) , books-dvds-cd's ?

Well, all I can say is give those laptops a big ol' kiss before you send them to aduanas, because Lord knows if you'll ever see them again.

Do you have permanent residency? You're allowed to ship personal goods here within 6 months of your residency I believe. That would make things easier.

If you're on a tourist visa, expect lots of problems. You will very likely be charged 100% duty of the assumed value on these items, plus have problems in customs getting them released, paying for storage, etc. I hope your Spanish is good enough to go and argue with them...

Getting married to an Argentine citizen in Ireland, i'll be applying for permanent residency via marriage. Have transfers organised via employers. Wife to be is native, as are her family there.

Maybe we can ship everything under my fiancés name ? Would that be better?

ps. We own our apartment in BA, so we have a legitimate postal address. It's empty right now, although the in laws check up on it one or twice a week.

I'm not sure how much help this is for you but I'm into month 3 of having my stuff sitting at the docks and not being processed yet to pass into the country proper.

I'm thinking you'll arrive and your stuff will also be sitting in the docks until their apparent back-log is caught up with.

We have legal representatives and staff who experience this yearly looking after us - so the complexities of paperwork and suggestions for handlers is beyond me - just expect delays is all I can offer at this point.

I'll update you once it's finally arrived(Hopefully within the next two weeks).

Enjoy your honeymoon!

scottlyon said:
I'm not sure how much help this is for you but I'm into month 3 of having my stuff sitting at the docks and not being processed yet to pass into the country proper.

I'm thinking you'll arrive and your stuff will also be sitting in the docks until their apparent back-log is caught up with.

We have legal representatives and staff who experience this yearly looking after us - so the complexities of paperwork and suggestions for handlers is beyond me - just expect delays is all I can offer at this point.

I'll update you once it's finally arrived(Hopefully within the next two weeks).

Enjoy your honeymoon!

Thanks - maybe i can use your experience to convince herself to reduce the amount of stuff we need to ship !

Do you mind me asking if you have permanent residency? Am wondering if this impacts the queue of imports or not?

thanks again

As of yet no we don't have permanent residency however we are in the process of getting our DNIs and may be here for the long haul (I think 4+ years = auto permanent).

The shipping wasn't a hassle for any of the other Brits who came at the same time as us, the quickest got theirs 2 weeks from having sent it from England. They are also having their DNIs processed along with ours and received their items no problem. Our ship just came in at the point when there were new restrictions and then a strike at the port, this created a backlog which is now being addressed.

As I mentioned things are handled by experienced staff at this end, however you could try contacting the shippers from Scotland, there website is here and they might know more about the process.

I'll update this thread as and when I get more info.

Best of luck!

scottlyon said:
As of yet no we don't have permanent residency however we are in the process of getting our DNIs and may be here for the long haul (I think 4+ years = auto permanent).

The shipping wasn't a hassle for any of the other Brits who came at the same time as us, the quickest got theirs 2 weeks from having sent it from England. They are also having their DNIs processed along with ours and received their items no problem. Our ship just came in at the point when there were new restrictions and then a strike at the port, this created a backlog which is now being addressed.

As I mentioned things are handled by experienced staff at this end, however you could try contacting the shippers from Scotland, there website is here and they might know more about the process.

I'll update this thread as and when I get more info.

Best of luck!

Cheers, hopefully you get your hands on your stuff sharpish !

I'll keep an eye out for any replies. I have had a few quotes from Irish shipping companies who will pick up here in Dublin and ship on to BA. I guess we can live without most of it short term anyway. If we can get under a certain limit I might consider the likes of DHL. We're moving in Oct so we've time yet.

I've moved internationally 7 times in the last 10 years. It's such a PIA! The first time I moved I took EVERYTHING! The last time I moved I brought my laptop in a backpack full of electronics, three duffle bags of clothes, and a bag of sports gear.

An alternative is to put that stuff in storage for 3 months. Get here, get settled, let some time pass. Then, if she's still attached to that stuff have someone back home ship it (either cargo or FedEx-ish).

If you can bring things over with you as luggage it is always easier. Maybe spread out over more than one trip if you can. As for expecting anything to be shipped directly to your door sorry to say that you can pretty much forget about that.

Back