Shipping from Brazil & Europe to Argentina (Tourist)

CPixie

Registered
Hi,

I'm here as a tourist & need 2 things sent into Argentina. The first is from Europe, new goods, value €100, sent by DHL from Germany. How likely is it I've got to pay import duty for that (Retiro? Ezeiza?)

The second parcel is to be sent from Brazil. It's not sent yet, but I'd need it within the next 5 days (DHL?). Value would be around US$350. Do I need to pay import tax for that? Or are things sent from Brazil free of import tax?

I remember someone telling me it should all be OK, because I'm here as a tourist & should claim it's all "equipaje no-accompanado" anyway...

Thanks a lot for your advice!
Cpixie

Sorry - got confused. The package from Germany is sent by DPD ("Deutscher Paket-Dienst"), not DHL.

Usually, DHL delivers the package to your door, no taxes to be paid, but it costs more.
If you use the US Post Office, then it ends in the depo in Retiro (Internacional Mail), and you pay some taxes.
I do not know about shipment from Germany or Brazil. Good luck

Hmm... From what I read on earlier threads on this forum, I got the impression that USPS was door-to-door, and express services might be held at Ezeiza.
Have things changed recently?

There are two different systems here for customs. One is the state owned mail system (Correo Argentina/USPS) that gets sent to Retiro. The other is private forwarders like UPS, DHL and Fedex that gets sent to Ezeiza. If the package doesn't get held at customs, they will come to your door regardless of the type of forwarder.

Whether it will get hold up in customs depends on what the package is labeled as AND/OR the declared value.
Anything below 25 USD should not be held according to regulations. Books seem to be less problems with (judging from experience by other people on this forum), so if the size and weight of the package allows it, label it like that.

Pros with private forwarder:
* Arrives faster
* Less risk for being lost in transit

Pros with state owned forwarder:
* Customs office more organized in Retiro, less waiting
* Cheaper to send
* Retiro is a lot closer/cheaper to go to than Ezeiza

CPixie said:
I'm here as a tourist & need 2 things sent into Argentina. The first is from Europe, new goods, value €100, sent by DHL from Germany. How likely is it I've got to pay import duty for that (Retiro? Ezeiza?)
Sorry - got confused. The package from Germany is sent by DPD ("Deutscher Paket-Dienst"), not DHL.

It will be held in Retiro and you will have to pay tax for it. Unless you change the declared value of it.

CPixie said:
The second parcel is to be sent from Brazil. It's not sent yet, but I'd need it within the next 5 days (DHL?). Value would be around US$350. Do I need to pay import tax for that? Or are things sent from Brazil free of import tax?

I remember someone telling me it should all be OK, because I'm here as a tourist & should claim it's all "equipaje no-accompanado" anyway...

If you need it within 5 days you will have to go with a private forwarder. If you do it will be held at Ezeiza unless you change the declared value of it.

I am not sure but I don't think they differentiate between tourists or locals.

Good luck.

For what it's worth...
I just had 2 blankets delivered yesterday from my mother in the US. Sent DHL, declared value 0. Had to pay US 50. DHL did deliver to my door and accepted cash at time of delivery. What a friggin scam...

Back