Shipping my personal laptop to Buenos Aires

I might already know the answer but just in case... This is not a new laptop. It's my personal 5y old laptop. Does it change anything?

Nope, it will still take 8 months - 5 years to have it released from customs authorities with added fines/costs of 5-20x the laptops value. Not to mention online systems which don't work and queuing at government offices for 50 hours to be told you have to re queue somewhere else, then repeat 20-30 more times to be told the law has changed and you have to start the release process again . If you're lucky.

I'm exaggerating somewhat, but read some of Kafka's 'the trial' and you'll get an idea of the madness that awaits you if you are brave enough to try!

I might already know the answer but just in case... This is not a new laptop. It's my personal 5y old laptop. Does it change anything?
Your best bet is to call friends and family. Tell them what a wonderful time you are having in Buenos Aires. You love the architecture, the food, the people and the museums. If they hurry, they can still catch decent weather. Oh and by the way, when they come, they should bring your 5-year old laptop.

You guys are great! I am not going for this option for sure. Not brave enough to take this risk.

Ok... So alternatives...

I am for sure traveling through Bolivia, Chile not in my plan but if this is the best option I can change my plan.

Otherwise I have friends in Uruguay.

What do you guys suggest?

You guys are great! I am not going for this option for sure. Not brave enough to take this risk.

Ok... So alternatives...

I am for sure traveling through Bolivia, Chile not in my plan but if this is the best option I can change my plan.

Otherwise I have friends in Uruguay.

What do you guys suggest?
Ask your friends in Uruguay if they have some suggestions also.

i presume buying a new one is out of the question?
It's an option but the last one. But again not so simple, I need an Apple with a custom setup for work and Apple for same reason I guess don't deliver online to Argentina.

So where should I buy it? And... Will I have the same problem when I enter Argentina?

well, apple products are what customs looks for the most. although my understanding is they finally at least allow you now to bring one computer across as part of your personal duty or whatever so if you bought a new macbook outside i think you can bring it in without paying duty. it will be much cheaper to buy one outside the country, and you will likely not find the latest and greatest model here.

https://www.thebubble.com/argentina-customs-tax-electronics-afip/.

Just in case I am coming across as being too cute or snarky, I commend to your attention this excellent sample of dealing with Argentine customs.

Things have changed a very little bit since Macri’s election, but the fundamentals - absurd regulations in the name of producing some customs revenue, out-of-control bureaucracy - all remain in place.

I know nothing about import regs to Uruguay, if it would work that is by far your easiest option - Montevideo is a pretty cheap boat-ride away.

If you want to buy a Mac in Buenos Aires, count on prices double what you need. If the customization you need can be done by a third party I'd recommend MacDaddy - macdaddy.com.ar. He is excellent.

It's an option but the last one. But again not so simple, I need an Apple with a custom setup for work and Apple for same reason I guess don't deliver online to Argentina.

So where should I buy it? And... Will I have the same problem when I enter Argentina?
I've sent you a PM.

T/

Back