Shipping personal items to Buenos Aires

Scary. I'm moving there to join my husband and plan on shipping my apartment (not much stuff - bed, couch, book case etc.) and am worried that I'll be charged until I get my permanant residency. Has anyone had that issue? I'm not even sure how long it will take to obtain my permanant residency once I get there. He is calling a lawyer this week to check on that.

Blimey! I didn't even know that those 'taxes' existed!

And I'm also surprised that it's taking so long for your residency to get sorted?
I got my 'precaria' in a very short time and then my 'premanente' within a year, and most of that was delays getting my documents together.
What is your application for residency based on? Admittedly mine was pretty straightforward because I had a child here - I'm guessing that applications for 'family' reasons are easier than 'work' or 'rentista'....?

My residency was based upon a work contract and the office guys have been so good at getting everything in order and on time but the delays in paper processing have been getting longer every year - the Puerto Madero guys have more computers now but more applications to process too I suspect. I had an Argentine baby too year which they said would speed up my application..ha ha ha! I now have my residency approved on paper but have to wait another 2-3 months for the final paperwork. I have ceased travelling outside the country as I have to bring a filing cabinet of paperwork with me every time...so for those embarking on this journey please do so expecting 5-6 years and any less will be a pleasant surprise!:eek:

fifs2 - you have a child here?!?

Then there's something very wrong going on with your application. Who is handling it? Seriously - someone is pulling your chain. If your name is on the birth certificate, it's a simple and automatic procedure to get your 'residente permanente.'

Your DNI is another thing altogether, but isn't actually that important. To work legally you just need your CUIL, which I assume you have, and you can do everything else once you have the 'residente permanente' - including, I'm guessing, stopping paying those ridiculous fees on your furniture.

I'm not sure what having a DNI is going to do for me at all really - I am awaiting mine anxiously, but there's nothing extra I'll be able to do once it finally arrives.

fifs2 said:
I have ceased travelling outside the country as I have to bring a filing cabinet of paperwork with me every time...

And I don't understand this at all! What paperwork? Why would you need anything else except your passport and your 'residencia precaria', which is one sheet of A4?

It is possible too to have your belongings shipped by boat as unaccompanied (don't know the exact term in english) luggage.

No custom fees are paid, except for some "tip". In order to do so, check with a clever despachante de aduana (customs broker).

That's what I did back in 2003, it worked perfectly.

Alzinho said:
And I don't understand this at all! What paperwork? Why would you need anything else except your passport and your 'residencia precaria', which is one sheet of A4?

Alzinho,
Bless your sweet innocent heart! Your posts are always so informative as well as funny and I know I am a bit naive at the best of times but I do admit we are a bit of a family puzzle which complicates circumstances. I am Irish, my husband is Swedish and my first born is from US. They are all my dependents ie my work visa and paperwork is what legitimizes them so that has added complications since we are processing 3 of us and they lost my husbands entire file after 1 year! When we travel we need the residencia precaria as well as the 6 extensions per person due to delays in processing at puerto madera- that includes the receipts of payment for each extension as well as each extension itself, then the usual stuff such as birth certificates, apostilleed and translated*, marriage license (*ditto), current AND expired versions of passports - since in 6 years my son and husbands passports both expired then DNis, both old and existing...the second last time we travelled we had "foolishly" not thought to bring the extension receipts or our marriage certificate and were nearly refused the flights..I started crying which I fnd helps..and gets the baby going too, which really helps. I am not bitter about this...dear god I am nearly there and have seen friends fall at the last post (because they changed jobs before the residency was actually processed) - it is all part of the craziness of this country which makes for great drinking stories with the girlfriends..sounds like you had an easier ride by the way which is also the experience of my friends who married into the clan!

fifs2 - I'm really sorry, but your last post actually made me laugh out loud.
Not because it's funny, but because it's so tragic! If I'd known the complexity of your family situation I would never have even started with the 'advice'. Now that I know it, I'll be honest and say I reckon it'll be a miracle if you ever get it sorted!!!

You'll probably be retired and have Argentinian grandchildren before it happens!
I feel for you, I really do.
:(

Ditto - you made me LOL too...you see, we never stop learning in this fabulous country. I will insist they name my 1st grandchild after you!

Thank you all for your kind responses.

A bit frustrating but what we expected.

Best.

Back