Shipping possessions from the UK

its so easy to send stuff to Panama....why is it SO hard in Argentina?...and I thought Panama was underdeveloped. I guess Panamanians are moving forward and Argentina should learn from the rest of the third world countries

Getting stuff both in and out is tough - I would say that you will save a ton of headache and money by going with a professional service on this one!! (Take this from someone who just came into Argentina with an air cargo crate of stuff in Nov and left in March to the UK... and I am still waiting for my stuff to clear customs out of Argentina and arrive here even though i Have people on the ground in BA working on this)

jenh said:
Getting stuff both in and out is tough - I would say that you will save a ton of headache and money by going with a professional service on this one!! (Take this from someone who just came into Argentina with an air cargo crate of stuff in Nov and left in March to the UK... and I am still waiting for my stuff to clear customs out of Argentina and arrive here even though i Have people on the ground in BA working on this)
Hi jenh - who did you ship with and how much did you ship? We are leaving soon and are trying to ship out only 2 x 50Kg (after coming here with 350kg), yet still having all kinds of problems...

Thanks guys, great answers! Wow, what a headache. This bit sounded promising:

"Foreigners without a permanent residence visa may import used household goods and personal effects on a temporary basis. One air and one sea shipment allowed. Shipment must arrive within six months after customer or three months before."

And how do you prove the items are not new and have been in your possession for over a year? By having original receipts for all the individual items? Jeez!

So is it really expensive to buy things like computers and monitors etc in Argentina? That makes up a lot of what I would be shipping. (And guitars... he he!)

Hi,

Like anything in Argentina, if you ring the -many- wrong doors, you'll have a hard time.
If you ring the right door, things might get suddenly easy quickly.

It depends on the amount of stuff you want to bring.

Is that an half-container or more or is it more like 5 to 6 cubic meters ?

If that's just 5 to 6 cubic meters, it's possible to bring them in tax-free even as a tourist.

It could probably fit in 5-6 cubic meters (not that I have actually checked) but I had all my stuff in sotrage a few times and it's amazing how much you can fit in a small space!

malthus101 said:
Thanks guys, great answers! Wow, what a headache. This bit sounded promising:

"Foreigners without a permanent residence visa may import used household goods and personal effects on a temporary basis. One air and one sea shipment allowed. Shipment must arrive within six months after customer or three months before."

And how do you prove the items are not new and have been in your possession for over a year? By having original receipts for all the individual items? Jeez!

So is it really expensive to buy things like computers and monitors etc in Argentina? That makes up a lot of what I would be shipping. (And guitars... he he!)

This assumes you have temporary residency. We have temporary residency and customs has a guarantee from my husband's company that we will remove our stuff from the country when we leave and/or import them if/when we become perm residents.

Honestly, bring a laptop, a guitar and leave everything else at home.

These national borders etc... what a pain!

I think I may well take the advise of folks here - bring my laptop, bring one favourite guitar, my clothes, some books that I need...

Hmm, that makes me think; what kind of problems would I run into receiving boxes of stuff at a later date? I have loads of books I will need with me if I decide to stay for a longer period - can't bring them with me so having them sent later by air would be the best.

Got some sports equipment too, and special clothing with that...

Easy enough?

Thanks

Matt

Back