Shipping prescription drugs from the U.S. to Buenos Aires

Further

Registered
My wife needs to ship, via FedEx, a prescription drug supply to an associate in Buenos Aires for his personal use. It is an antiretroviral drug that costs $2,000 for a month's supply. The drug is covered by his U.S. health insurance at a $25 copay.

FedEx advised that a doctor's prescription must accompany the drug and that a customs broker must clear the shipment. FedEx also advised that the customs broker will require an import permit that the associate must obtain from the local health department.

Is FedEx correct? Can anyone recommend a Buenos Aires custom broker?

Thanks, Further

The much simpler way to do this is to ask someone who is on their way to BsAs for whatever reason to hand deliver it for you.

Honestly, I don't know that the associate will ever receive the drugs. And if he does, I can't imagine what it will cost him. Getting them into the country is a nightmare. Does his doctor have any contacts in Argentina? If possible, I would have his doctor call a local doctor and find out what the cost would be to get the prescription filled here locally. It may well be cheaper than having it shipped.

(Or as JenH wisely said, find someone coming down and have them bring it in their carryon).

Hi there,

I am a flight crew member for a US airline and sometimes bring things to people in BA for a small "handling fee". I come every week from miami. Let me know if I can help by sending me a private message here.

This is a tough one. Unless you know somebody coming down or someone willing to bring it done as above then you really have a problem. The problem is getting it past the customs people here (as corrupt and crooked a bunch as you would ever want to meet). Delivery could be held up for extended periods, you could be asked (or extorted) for large sums to be allowed to bring it in. I wouldn't surprised to learn that for the money they want you could buy a ticket fly back to the states once a month and pick it up personally for less money.

Just as a warning to others if there are any medications like this that you need you should have a supply equal to your expected stay in the country. Of course most medications are just as available in Argentina(usually for a lot less).

Your associate can very inexpensively go see a doctor at one of the very good hospitals (Italiano for example) and tell them the situation of being here traveling without a supply. If it is a product available in Argentina, he will likely be able to get it, and US insurance will likely reimburse the cost as well (of the prescription if not the visit) to some point, but the costs overall will be MUCH lower than in the US. Many of the doctors speak English and it should not be a huge problem.

Prescription costs are much cheaper here. I had some eye issues and had to buy prescription eye drops - it cost me about $10; in the US the same bottle goes for about $100. I suggest trying to buy locally if possible (especially if he's going to be here a while.)

Just label it as documents or books.

And if it's HIV medication the person doesn't need it. No blind studies have been made on HIV medication. Therefor it's impossible to say whether it works or not.

I know that's regular FEDEX and other courier companie's procedures. But I sent some prescribed drugs from Baires to the US ... I lied on the form and packed them properly so that they wouldn't find out and BINGO!!

Back