Shipping to the States

A&A

Registered
A friend asked me to find out the feasibility of shipping back to the States from here. Probably, in the 1/2 container to Full container kind of volume. I think it is likely furniture and things for re-sell back in the States. (I know not a novel idea, but not mine).

So, a general discussion: the complications, timeframe, costs, bribes, etc...

And, if anyone has done this and has specific companies they would recommend (preferably with English speakers as my friend speaks english and Italian) that would be a big help.

Thanks so much

A&A said:
A friend asked me to find out the feasibility of shipping back to the States from here. Probably, in the 1/2 container to Full container kind of volume. I think it is likely furniture and things for re-sell back in the States. (I know not a novel idea, but not mine).

So, a general discussion: the complications, timeframe, costs, bribes, etc...

And, if anyone has done this and has specific companies they would recommend (preferably with English speakers as my friend speaks english and Italian) that would be a big help.

Thanks so much

I shipped from US to here (6 years ago) with an international shipping company called Transpack - it took 6 weeks for the container to arrive. Everything was perfectly intact and they do the entire packing and unpacking with an army of people in a matter of hours. Great service..cost my then company (who were kindly foooting the bill) $15kUSD at the time..no idea of cost now but will definitely be using them when I leave..

fifs: this is ok, but I am actually looking for information on exporting/shipping out of Argentina. Anyone? No one? Little help here.

I looked at the customs section on the Transpack website and it said to ship belongings out of Argentina you have to have lived there for the last year without spending more than 60 days out of the country!!! Does anyone know if this is true?? This is what they say:
• The person who is moving must have been living legally in Argentina during the last year and must not have been abroad for more than 60 days (accumulated).

I searched in this website "despachante de aduana" and found this, from SaraSara:

"We used Lift-Van International to store furniture and to move to the States and back - they did an excellent job. It's a long-established firm, very knowledgeable. Their agents should be able to answer your questions.

http://www.liftvan.com/ingles.htm"

Reactions: A&A
A&A said:
fifs: this is ok, but I am actually looking for information on exporting/shipping out of Argentina. Anyone? No one? Little help here.

We also used Lift Van when we arrived. I called a while ago to find out how much a 20ft container to Europe was specifying that we were individuals and that the company was not paying our move. I was told between US6-8K. The container alone costs US4-5K. The rest was moving people & whatever was needed to get the thing out. I didn't get into details.

Reactions: A&A
I think the OP is talking about shipping antiques or such, not personal stuff, as a business. This has been discussed here before if you dig through the site you can find the earlier discussions.

Suffering, pain, complications and palos verdes.

I export either small antiques or paintings.

Here to have the guidelines
http://www.cultura.gov.ar/direcciones/?info=detalle&id=51&idd=5

Now for the small print (not sure about the accuracy of everything because I developped my own method for the items mentionned above) :
- The exporter must have a CUIL/CUIT
- Even with a CUIL/CUIT you can export a maximum of 1 or 2 antiques per year (if more, you need to be officially licensed as an exporter).
- You'll pay 5% of the value they determine in taxes.
- Both at the docks in BA and very likely in the US too : mafia, so better take an insurance. I know quite well an antique dealer from San Telmo, he's Argentinean in his 60/65, he knows all the tricks an so on. About ten years ago he exported a whole container to the US. As the insurance was quite expensive he took the risk not being covered ---> everything disappeared in Miami.

Good luck

Thanks for the headstart all. Man though, can it really be that difficult here...(don't answer that). I will dig deeper.

I developped my own method for the items mentionned above
I won't have you reveal your secrets as I am sure it involves..*wink wink* "excuse me sir, I believe this $100 bill just fell out of your pocket *wink wink*. Or the occassional "antique mule"....

Yes, my friend is basically looking to loot the San Telmo flea market "move the decimal point" and resell in the States. I told him I think the hassle will be much, the risk great, so better do it once and do it big because you may not want to ever do it again. (Like a wedding)

Back