Shipping work sought

Condor

Registered
Good day all,

I've recently returned to Buenos Aires, after some 5 years in New Zealand, and am looking for an interesting/challenging position in the South American shipping world. Having said which I am open to opportunities in other sectors.
My working life started as a seafarer, where I worked up to being the holder of a Master Mariners certificate. I subsequently came ashore and, after 6 years working in stevedoring in a UK port, joined a multinational shipping co. This company employed me as Operations Manager in Chile (5 years), Belgium (2.5 years) and Argentina (3.5 years) before I resigned and moved to NZ. In NZ, I was initially employed as Ops Manager by a local shipping company (on their North Asia trades) before being recruited to be General Manager of a Wellington based stevedore company.
I am a fluent Spanish speaker and am willing to travel, should the work so determine.
CV's can be provided in Spanish or English.
I look forward to hearing from anyone that might have or know of a suitable opening.
Thanks
Ian Caig

Welcome Ian. Can't help you with your job search. But your job does sound pretty cool. Good luck!

Thanks for that Mini! The industry has its cool moments but you go through a fair few uncool moments before you get to enjoy them...same as so many other jobs, I suppose. Cheers.

IanCaig said:
Thanks for that Mini! The industry has its cool moments but you go through a fair few uncool moments before you get to enjoy them...same as so many other jobs, I suppose. Cheers.

Yes, like any job really. I can imagine Antwerp would be pretty stressful! You may have luck in Bahia Blanca where they have a big port.

I've got a BsAs contact who is keeping me up to date with a large bulk export project that is due to go ahead shortly in Bahia Blanca. There have also been suggestions of work in Rio Grande, but that's hardly on the door step for BsAs!

Ian in the 3.5 years you were in Argentina did you get permanent residency?do you have a DNI? That would make things a lot easier for you..
though you are already well qualified....
Either way, I would suggest you travel to Buenos aires and network here in the industry to feel its pulse.....

best of luck...

Thanks!
I don't think you could get permanent residency after such a "short" stay at that time. I did have my DNI but, in order to get my birth certificate back, I had to return it to the authorities.
I'm already over here and have been renewing old contacts, though with little success so far. Joining this web forum, is a case of broadening my search just in case I get lucky. As I say, I'm quite up for trying other avenues with my 'transferable skills'.
Cheers
Ian

IanCaig said:
I've got a BsAs contact who is keeping me up to date with a large bulk export project that is due to go ahead shortly in Bahia Blanca. There have also been suggestions of work in Rio Grande, but that's hardly on the door step for BsAs!

well no. but it's a start! and it could get you contacts who maybe have offices in BA. i went to spanish school with a guy who worked here but flew out to BB every couple of weeks. so, it's possible! don't close any doors yet. good luck.

Hi Ian,
Apologies for contacting you out of the blue but I saw your post and it looked interesting. I can't offer you any work, but I wanted to at least offer you a lunch! I'm here doing some analysis for various business clients, and it would be really helpful to understand a bit more about how international shipping works. If anything did come to fruition, it's always good to know a shipping/logistics expert further down the line. Would it be possible to take the conversation private – let me know? Many thanks and best wishes with the job search,
Jim

Hi Ian
If you can speak Spanish and English it is very interesting for shipping companies in Buenos Aires they are always looking for bilingual people with experience abroad.
all the best
Reina

Back