shoestring BA

daveserafino

Registered
hey,

i'm looking to get to and live in BA for three months on three grand and an income of 1k a month--can it be done? are there any cool neighborhoods cheaper than palermo? i'm fluent in spanish, but obviously a gringo--can i avoid tourist prices?

thanks, and see you in the summer...or winter...

dave

3 grand what? USD, EUR, GBP? Yes, without a doubt. AR$... probably but will be more difficult.

If anyone believes that they can live on 3000 pesos per month they are wrong. The minimum I would say is 4500 pesos and that includes very few luxuries.

Buenos Aires is an expensive city and no matter what others might say it is equivalently as dear to most European cities overall. As stated many times before there are cheaper items here but all big ticket items in Buenos Aires are dearer than equivalent items in other world cities.

Now do not attack me Thank you

daveserafino said:
hey,

i'm looking to get to and live in BA for three months on three grand and an income of 1k a month--can it be done? are there any cool neighborhoods cheaper than palermo? i'm fluent in spanish, but obviously a gringo--can i avoid tourist prices?

thanks, and see you in the summer...or winter...

dave

If you are careful with your finances and come here with three thousand dollars and you have an additional thousand dollars a month to spend you should be able to have a very good time. As of today, your thousand dollars a month equals over $3500 pesos (as opposed to $3000). If you want to rent a place by yourself, you can get a studio for about $600 US per month, but be careful where you rent (the center isn't very nice at night). You will be paying "tourist" prices for rent as the short term rentals are aimed directly at tourists. It may be possible to negotiate a lower price from June through August (winter), but owners here aren't very flexible in general. Tourism is down, so the more you shop the better.

Use the search engine of this site and you will find a great deal of information. There are lots of posts regarding the various neighborhoods and their pros and cons.

loads of people live on 3000 a month quite happily

You just don't live like you're on holiday

jp said:
loads of people live on 3000 a month quite happily

You just don't live like you're on holiday

Well said, jp. And very true in my case and others I know. It all depends on what you want out of this city. It can be done and quite easily. Will it allow posh dining and clubbing in Puerto Madero 3 nights a week? --If someone else is footing the bill. --Will it allow designer shopping on Arenales? --Perhaps a handkerchief. --Will it allow an incredibly overpriced apartment in Palermo Soho with taxis to and fro?-- If shared among 4 at all times.

It (1,000 US?/month) will allow for tons of other things that the true city of BsAs has to offer. Decent apartments in not-so-touristy neighborhoods, bread at your friendly baker around the corner (given you have correct change), and butter at the "chinos" across the street. Tap water's drinkable too.

But honestly...The point is, you adjust to your budget. Once you adjust and accommodate yourself, you decide if you're pleased or not with your standard of living. If so, awesome. If not, you find a way to make more money or you move on to a destination hopefully filled with better opportunities.

Great thread. I am considering coming with about the same amount of money. My only problem is my student loans back in the states. If I can find a way to delay them or pay them while in BA, I will stay longer.

Back