Should I ride a bike in BA?

Mediator7

Registered
I’ve seen many posts about how dangerous it is to ride a bike in Buenos Aires. I’m thinking of buying a used bike to ride 10 kilometers each way, almost the whole way on cyclovías, to and from spanish classes because it would be great exercise. Should I not do it and just use other public transport? If anyone knows of a place to buy a good used bike, that would also be appreciated, in case I decide to buy one.
Thanks

From my experience the bike lanes in CABA are excellent. But if you are unsure you can test out your route on one of the city bikes (never used them but they are rentable I guess by the day?). Then if you feel confident, buy a bike and go for it!

Good Luck ;)

Thanks, L2B! I took that 10k ride the other day and found it to be pretty good. I just wanted to get some other thoughts after reading about the dangers on this site. I guess the key is to just be careful, keep an eye out and don’t expect anyone to do what they’re supposed to.
I appreciate it.

I rode from Belgrano to Palermo for a Spanish class last year. About 8km. It was graat. Could get a little intense out of the bike lanes but overall a great experience. Anytime the weather was bad or I was feeling lazy I took the bus. The travel time was about the same.

i highly recommend getting a bike, i got one last year and now there is no way i could be bothered to go anywhere without it. Only taking the bus or metro if the weather is bad or im to lazy that day. I was impressed by how quickly one can move around the city with the bikes.

Sign up with the city to use one of the bikes available at no charge. You must wear a helmet to use them for obvious reasons.

A bicycle was my means of transportation for many years when I lived in a Chicago suburb. Unfortunately, the city bicycles are too big and heavy with the basket on the front for me to manage or I'd be using them.

There is a cyclovia in front of my building. The bicycle traffic is constant all day long. It's the way to travel with the benefits of exercise and reducing air pollution.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the advice. I’m going to do it. It sounds like the best way to get around town. I’ll not expect anyone to do what they’re supposed to and I imagine it will be safer that way.

I use the free Eco- Bici , but the problems I have with them are the relatively short time you are allowed one- 1 hour per ride on weekdays- and the fact that, often, the stand nearest me is empty. They are kind of clunky, but most of Buenos Aires is pretty flat. If you buy your own bike, you need to be very vigilant about locking it, and carry it inside anywhere you can- they get stolen a lot.
I dont find riding in Buenos Aires that different from riding in many big cities- you have to be careful of cars, but the bike lanes are good.

Back