Should my dad ship a circular saw to BA?

expat0tree

Registered
Hi guys,

My dad happens to have a 220 V saw that I can make use of here but I worry I'd be forced to pay more money at Argentine customs. It's an old saw, not a new product or anything, what are the risks? I've never had anything shipped from Canada, just heard a bunch of terrible stories. Thanks.

If you bring it with you at Ezeiza, chances are nobody will care.
If you ship it, it’ll be a long while till you see it again, unless you choose sanity and just give up on it.
Do not - repeat, do not - ship it.

If you bring it with you at Ezeiza, chances are nobody will care.
If you ship it, it’ll be a long while till you see it again, unless you choose sanity and just give up on it.
Do not - repeat, do not - ship it.

like how long is long? i'm obviously not flying so it has to be shipped if they aren't going to charge me for its value there.

Search this forum for several threads that describe the process. It does not sound like a pleasant affair.

I understand that under the Macri govt, you could register with AFIP and pre-declare your stuff, and it would arrive at your door within a reasonable time-frame. I am not sure if that regime still works.

I think it would be cheaper to buy one here. Duty would be applied, and customs is free to assess the value of the saw, based on what they think new ones cost. Then they usualy charge you a storage fee. Sometimes, depending on how its shipped you have to go out to Ezieza to get it. Other people have reported having to wait for hours at the main Retiro post office. And, many times, the package just vanishes along the way.
If you cant bring it with you as checked baggage, its seldom worth it.
The actual industrial hardware stores here sell quite good quality hand power tools.

I think it would be cheaper to buy one here. Duty would be applied, and customs is free to assess the value of the saw, based on what they think new ones cost. Then they usualy charge you a storage fee. Sometimes, depending on how its shipped you have to go out to Ezieza to get it. Other people have reported having to wait for hours at the main Retiro post office. And, many times, the package just vanishes along the way.
If you cant bring it with you as checked baggage, its seldom worth it.
The actual industrial hardware stores here sell quite good quality hand power tools.

I suspected that to be the case, thanks for your insight, I'll probably end up buying foreign tools here even though the imports are so terribly overpriced. I was thinking about getting domestic brands at first but their quality and durability are questionable. The sellers on Mercado Libre and at the ferreteria don't seem to care if there's a user's manual available for download and just send me to hell when I try to investigate about particular replacement parts. No proper customer service whatsoever, I thought it would be in seller's best interest to accommodate a potential buyers but apparently not here. I sent an email to Lusqtoff Argentina to see where I could find replacement parts for their table saws, no response, how typical. The next challenge would be to sniff out Lusqtoff stores and suppliers, I feel like a ghost buster, talking to old capos at the gas station, maybe I should stop random people on the streets, if all fails I'll send a letter to the president of this interesting country to see if he could investigate on my behalf.

How much is worth one localy?
How much is your time worth to you?
Hope for the best, count with the wost.

Do the math.

There you are.

Iz

Someone gave my daughter an old marching band saxophone, practically worthless in the US. Customs in Ezeiza placed their own value on it, and I had to pay a hundred dollars to get it in. More than it was worth.

I learned that, even if you have an actual sale slip, the Aduana can price stuff it as they see it. They have pretty accurate lists of electronics, and access to Amazon prices.

Having said that, I recently brought a US$ 900 drone in my carry on, which was not even detected. It is largely a matter of luck.

Keep in mind that you'll have to use the circular saw with a transformer.

They will ROYALLY screw you if you give them the opportunity.

Music instrumentspay 50% tax if you bring them with your luggage. I've had a sax on my wish list for a long time.

Iz

Last edited:
Back