Skipping second leg of a flight

gonzalob54

Registered
Looking at ticket prices to Atlanta direct flight from BA really expensive. Other option would be BA-LAX with stopover in ATL wich is almost half the price. Question is... what prevents me to get off in ATL , do inmigration and forget the second leg of the flight? what happens to my luggage if any.. do I get it in Atl or will end up in LA? thanks.

Looking at ticket prices to Atlanta direct flight from BA really expensive. Other option would be BA-LAX with stopover in ATL wich is almost half the price. Question is... what prevents me to get off in ATL , do inmigration and forget the second leg of the flight? what happens to my luggage if any.. do I get it in Atl or will end up in LA? than
Keep in mind you must do it as a one-way. They cancel your return flight if you have one.
There is tons of stuff on the Internet that's way better than what you will find on this forum.

Is it a one way trip? Your luggage is likely to arrive at the final destination plus Homeland Security might not allow you to get off. If it is a round trip, the later portion of your trip will get automatically cancelled if you are a no-show. I would check directly with the airline.

A bricks and mortar travel agent in Panama City once sold me a ticket like that and there were no comebacks for me but serious problems can arise. Google for Hidden City Ticketing and Lufthansa.

I do this all the time. Check out the website skiplagged.com for itineraries that take advantage of this. The only caveat, you cannot have any checked luggage otherwise that'll go to the final destination. With the right routing you can easily save hundreds of dollars compared to a normal direct flight

Looking at ticket prices to Atlanta direct flight from BA really expensive. Other option would be BA-LAX with stopover in ATL wich is almost half the price. Question is... what prevents me to get off in ATL , do inmigration and forget the second leg of the flight? what happens to my luggage if any.. do I get it in Atl or will end up in LA? thanks.
Actually as a matter of fact, flying to the USA you have to recheck your luggage anyway after immigration, it doesn't get sent through like a domestic flight with a layover. So when you go to recheck your luggage just walk right out of the airport, no problems at all.

Entering the US, you clear customs and collect bags at first port of entry. Got to recheck bags for domestic sector regardless

If you're just looking at a one-way flight then there's ways to look at it out of the box.
So something like EZE to Bogota and on from there, or EZE to Mexico City and on from there can work ok. Or budget flights into and up from Brazil and on from there are also worth looking at.

I accept that I have not answered the specific question you have asked. But believe there is merit in you considering some alternatives.

Nothing will physically stop you or your bags not getting on the second leg.

However, just be aware airlines (especially those from the US) are increasingly cracking down on this practice ("skiplagging") by putting such passengers on the airline's "no-fly list" as it is a breach of your end of the deal in the terms and conditions you agree to when purchasing a ticket.

Usually when an airline detects a missed connection without seeing the ticket has been rebooked on another flight to complete the journey, they will put your details on record with their internal security department. If happens again it will generate automatic red flags and that is when the airlines internal security department may decide to investigate you a little further and potentially ban you.

If you're just looking at a one-way flight then there's ways to look at it out of the box.
So something like EZE to Bogota and on from there, or EZE to Mexico City and on from there can work ok. Or budget flights into and up from Brazil and on from there are also worth looking at.

I accept that I have not answered the specific question you have asked. But believe there is merit in you considering some alternatives.
Brazil is going to start requiring visas for Americans this week, and if you dont book the tickets together the airline may not let you fly to Brazil to do your transfer.

Back