So how do you do it

Searcher

Registered
I am so glad that I found this site!!!!
I am at a crossroad in my life..... I was in AR a couple of years ago and traveled throughout from Salta to Bariloche....I am no longer have the passion to pursue the daily grinder trying to survive the BS in the Bus World.
I have done a considerable World travel and I am fluent in Spanish; I have been fantasizing to move down south and live off my Social Security chk at the age of 62 but thanks to my DNA I have to convince people of my age, they all think that I am 20 years younger, not bragging is a fact.
So, how do you do it with that type of limited income? Is there a lot of red tape, lots of mordida involved to get established down there. I wouldn't mind living in central part of BA. Any suggestion.?
I am a single guy no attachment so can navigate a bit easier.
Thanks in advance Ciao

Hi I reccomend that you read some of the articles written on http://expat-argentina.blogspot.com/ they contain alot of information regarding moving to Argentina, Visa Issues and such. I'd especially take a look at http://expat-argentina.blogspot.com/2006/03/getting-your-residency-visa.html#comments and http://expat-argentina.blogspot.com/2006/01/argentina-for-retirees.html#comments although the entire site is practicly full of practicle and usefull information regarding moving to Argentina and living here.
Best of luck

What's the problem with loloking 20 years younger? Isn't that an advantage?
What do you consider a limited income? $1,000 dollars is over 3,000 pesos here. That is quite a lot on the local economy. Your main problem will be finding affordable housing. Rents for local people are still very low by US standards but have gone up. Without a guarantor you will probably have to pay for a "short terrm" rental in dollars. As for bureaucracy, legal residence requires some paperwork but is possible. Any specific questions?

Instead of getting a guarantor I struck a deal with my landlord that I'd pay him 6 months in advance every 6 months. Think it is all just a matter of negotiations, Inmobilaria employees are hatefull creatures, when you meet them make sure that you get them to give you the owners number, if the Inmobiliaria won't give it to you then don't give that property any more thought, just move on.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will check those sites. No there is nothing wrong looking younger, I milk it as much as I can don't get me wrong. My income will be around 1,500 dls period that is the whole enchilada not a whole bunch.
Yes, I can appreciate that is about 9-10k pesos, but then again what about the rest.
What did you guys do before moving, did you sell the kitchen sink or put some stuff in storage back in the US.
What did you bring with you, besides, pers belonging and maybe a laptop or two....

Your $1, 500 dollars is not 9-10,000 pesos, more like $4,500 pesos. This is quite a lot of money by local standards - only 5% of Argentines have monthly incomes of 5,000 pesos or more. Are you planning to buy an apartment or rent? With a debt free home you will be in an excellent position. If you must pay rent it will be harder but you will still have a good lifestyle. Keep in mind, of course, that there is a good desl of inflation and unpredictability as far as the exchange rate is concerned. What did we take with us when we left? Everyone has a different story. Shipping goods here can be expensive. It might be better to bring personal items you want and buy what you need here. Bring your laptop as that will cost you more here.

Thanks for the replies, do any of you know anyone that has made the move with limited income as me (based on our standards not Argentina's)
By the way the link movingtoargentinatypead.com does not work, please send or post the correct one thanks

It's a shame you haven't gotten a reply by now, search. Let's see how I can do.
It's good that you have travelled in the "interior" of Argentina and like it...the capital is very affordable but anywhere else in Argentina is even more so.
I don't know that my income is exactly limited but I enjoy the accomplishment of being frugal...it sort of strikes a blow for personal independence. Not to forget, that we moved here because it isn't the US. I live the comfortable and satisfying life of a middle class Porteño. That leaves me a lot to splurge with whenever I feel the urge...which isn't often.
If you are more acquistive than inquisitive, more compulsive than impulsive, looking more to consume experiences rather than be consumed by them...you already live in the right place. But apparently you don't. It would be better to stay, however, if you somehow intend to transplant the US lifestyle to here. You'll go broke and or crazy.

How to do it? Take the time and do it right so as to minimize any worries later.
Bring anything/everything of high mark-up here (small electronics, for example. depending on your visa, you may even be allowed to bring a new car) then sell what you don't want here in BsAs. Sell everything else that you can't pack into your luggage and something no bigger than an old steamer trunk. Take your luggage to the airport and everything else to the Slow Boat Bros shipping company.
Put all the cash in your US bank and tap it with your bankmachine card. If you are legal, you can get a safe deposit box here for any of your other valuables. Come to think of it, I think tourists can even do that...ask El Expatriado.

Hit the ground here and choose a place for your homebase. Rent a room then prepare to burn some shoe leather. Ask me, ask everyone on the forum and anywhere else like, ask everyone you meet or even see on the street where is there an apartment for rent. That's the only way to do in NYC, Chicago, or LA...and it's the only way here. I have a 2B in the very nicest part of downtown BsAs with two small patios, doorman, the works, for which I pay less than $250 US/mo...that's after 2 rent increases. It can be done and it can be fun. Don't worry about the guarantia...you'll be fine. If you can pay your rent 6mos-1yr in advance...landlords will be VERY attentive.

On your apartment safari you'll meet a million people, see a million things, maybe even learn a few. Then you'll go back and do the ones you liked over again and you will have made some tremendous progress toward building a new life in a period of only about 1 or 2 months. You can get some health insurance while you are at it.

As to mordida...this place doesn't resemble Mexico in that regard either. Although, being a Chicagoan, I've never minded a well placed bribe if it leaves everybody feeling good! I don't find it buried in red tape, either. However, the US has streamlined almost every process so efficiently that I fear that there are damn few that rememeber what red tape really is. Here things take longer and need more signatures in more different places with lots of original documents and stamps and seals...but I don't think that's the real definition of red tape.
You'll be fine. You'll probably be much happier here than in the US. The home of the brave and the land of the free is pretty tough on people with a fixed income. Medical care alone could easily bankrupt you...if such a thing still exists there.

Take care of as many details in advance as you possibly can. Get to be friends with the Argentine Consul nearest you. Check and recheck shipping rates. Get rid of your stuff!

Good night and good luck,
Mike

Back