So What Is It Like Over There.

Pensador

Registered
So after a month of Macri and all the changes what is like over there? Is getting better? The same? I am just curious as we are pondering going back to live closer to my wife's mother.

So after a month of Macri and all the changes what is like over there? Is getting better? The same? I am just curious as we are pondering going back to live closer to my wife's mother.

I'd wait at least 6 months before making that decision. I'd especially wait for the Congress to come back and see how that plays out.

Much less people picketing in the square by the pink palace. Where they paid to picket and hang out?
This is still vacation time, quiet time here.
Nancy

Perhaps a picture is worth a thousand words...

19e489c6fef4b59fcff0fa96539e682d.jpg

P.S. The atmosphere is certainly better, but you know, it's...Argentina after all... :)

The Cueva is as busy as ever.
I think there are just as many protests- now, by laid off workers.
But aside from the CCK being closed indefinitely, nothing much has changed.
There are hundreds of laws, regulations, and traditional ways of doing things that Macri is saying he will change, but, even if he succeeded- and he has been backed down on several things already- that will take years.

I've been interviewing every Argentinian I've met since I arrived on Dec. 30th, about Macri, and it's about a 50/50 split (for those who have an opinion) and the rest are taking a wait-and-see attitude. The expats I've met like him, but when I traveled down to the Lake region last weekend, my hostel hosts in El Bolson -- both of whom are educated and also teach English -- were not fans. They say that he won because the rich were glad it was finally their turn again, and the middle class votes in whichever direction the wind is blowing in order to catch whatever trickles down. The three Argentine roommates I had in Villa la Angostura -- all of whom were from Mar de Plata -- are hopeful yet still stressed about the future. But I know no one wants to see a repeat of the early 2000s, from which many are still recovering.

In other words, yeah, give it more time. Too soon to tell. ;)

If the rich represent only 10 or max 20% of the population, how come 50% voted for the current president?
The geographical distribution of the vote speaks volumes. Finally some sort of geographical political identity has emerged akin to what exists int he US with the inland red states and coastal blue states, +- healthy exceptions.

All the productive in themselves provinces, which play an international role in the economy and culture, have voted for the current president.
The yellow band:

Mendoza, Cordoba (traditionally a "Radical (Social Democrat)" stronghold - they like the guitar), Provincia de Buenos and the City, and even Santa Fe and San Luis all voted for the current president. This is the part of the country where immigrants traditionally preferred to settle in without government incentives, and where thriving cities and towns exist today.

The Blue Frontiers:

Patagonia: Heavily dependent on government subsidies for its industry and development. In matters of infrastructure this is hard to argue against. Hippies and Naz/// European Refugees from the 1950s helped set the foundations of Patagonian society. K territory.
The only Patagonian exception (which voted for the current president) is Neuquen, which seceded from Rio Negro while having a non negligible Jewish population.

North: Heavily dependent on government subsidies for its demographic reproduction and integration into urban society. Experienced genocide against Indians less than a century ago, the ex terror group associated to Que/Lapacho Hard wood exploitation by English Capitalists was created in Santiago del Estero which is undeniably the most Peronist province. The drum (bombo) is a syncretic symbol of both Autoctonous Chaqueno culture and Peronism.

Let's hope the current president's conundrum to "retain" or "gain" the 50% that would not vote for him doesn't turn him and his administration into a disaster. Otherwise, excellent perspectives. Argentina might just join the investment-grade club that Paraguay and Uruguay conform today.

someday Argentina might equal Chile! But let's not allow our imagination to run so wild, after all Chile is a geographical isolated. almost homogeneous society.

I haven't seen much of a change yet. We still live in the tourist bubble here. One thing I reflected over today is that one of the hardware store has a medium sized sit on top Husqvarna lawnmower on display. Import must have opened up!

Back