Social History of Argentina

perry

Registered
Hi my friend Eric is looking for some light to medium reading on the social history of Argentina .
This could be through serious history books or novels of any period. Any assistance you can give would be gratefully received and hopefully may raise an interest in other readers of this forum.

One thing I'd suggest is to ORDER books rather than accept what they try to pass off on you at bookstores. I went looking for recommended books about Argentine history and all they had was "A Brief History of Argentina" which was TERRIBLE in my opinion. Other expat types also got suckered into buying this book since this is all they want to carry in English language (at some stores).
btw, there's a really good english bookstore in downtown BsAs but I can't remember where. Only new books though.

There seems to be very little of this nature in English. An insightful book published a few years ago is BAD TIMES IN ARGENTINA (or is it BAD TIMES IN BUENOS AIRES?), written by a British woman who live here for a few years. Some expats will object to it as it does not present everything as ideal however a number of readers have told me that they think it quite perceptive.

"sergio" said:
There seems to be very little of this nature in English. An insightful book published a few years ago is BAD TIMES IN ARGENTINA (or is it BAD TIMES IN BUENOS AIRES?), written by a British woman who live here for a few years. Some expats will object to it as it does not present everything as ideal however a number of readers have told me that they think it quite perceptive.
Bad Times in Buenos Aires by Miranda France. She was only in BsAs for a year (1993?). And her portrait of BsAs, though eminently amusing and readable, isn't exactly balanced.

As barrionuevo it would say in 1993: In Argentina the ones who don´t work earn more then the ones that work

Back