Social Security Checks

carlsalazar

Registered
Hi, I have just received my first Social Security Check and I have no idea where to cash it. Is there a place in Buenos Aires where I can cash it and get dollars ? I would appreciate you help. Thanks Carl

Hi carlsalazar,
If were you ,I'd inquire at the U.S. embassy. Just to be curious,why diidn't you arrange for direct deposit in a bank in the U.S.? I used to know a Salazar here in the 1980s.Would your first name be Saul?

If you have a US bank account it would be much better to have your monthly benefit deposited directly into the account and then use XOOM to send the funds to yourself in Argentina, either to an Argentine bank account or for pick up at a XOOM location.

RIA (another transfer service) will not let you send funds to yourself while you are in Argentina, but XOOM will. XOOM is faster but usually has a slightly lower rate and charges a small fee. They charge a bit less to make the transfer from a US bank account than using a debit card.

If you transfer more than $5000 pesos per month you will have to submit a declaration of the origin of the funds (declaration jurada) and your last two bank statements (in pdf format) showing the deposits from the Social Security Administration. It is very easy to download a pdf of your "monthly benefit letter" and it does not have to be translated into Spanish! You will need a "My Social Security" account to download the benefit letter.

If you use XOOM to transfer the funds to an Argentine bank you will have to provide the 22 digit CBU (instead of the branch and bank account numbers) and XOOM now provides a version of the declaration jurada in English! You can download the form ad fax it directly to XOOM's Argentine partner (MORE) or you can scan it and send it in an email.

If you can't cash the check you have perhaps you could call the Social Security toll free line and ask if you can have the first check cancelled and those funds deposited as well.

Bank Macro has a special Service for SS beneficiaries , you order the funds transferred to a special acct.opened for you with them and they credit pesos in this acct at the Official rate! :eek:

There are a few financial institutions in central Bs. As. that exchange social security checks but they have to have the treasury of state emboss on it. They work as cuevas. There are few. Some used to exchange regular American checks but as of September of 2013 they stopped, just SS checks for now. If you have an American account and a debit card you can just travel to Colonia Uruguay where you can get American Dollars out of any ATM. You can travel by Buquebus or Sea Cat. Sea Cat is cheaper and you almost always get to go on a Buequebus. The trip on boat is one hour and costs just about 600 pesos, maybe a little more. At the Blue Dollar exchange rate it's less than 50 bucks. Don't don't tell them your American or try and pay with an American credit or debit card because you will get charged American rates, which I think is about 340 American Dollars (insane). Go to one of the offices and pay cash, unless you have an Argentina debit or credit card. I but my tickets over the phone with an Argentine Credit Card. Plus, you get to buy American goodies at the the Freeshop, yay! I always but Reese's peanut butter cups and Jolly Ranchers when I go. Hope the info helps.

I have yet to receive by mail the annual SSA-4926-SM-F form, which confirms a Social Security recipient's benefit amount for 2017. Anyone else here not received this form yet? In the past, usually I receive this form by the middle of December.

I have yet to receive by mail the annual SSA-4926-SM-F form, which confirms a Social Security recipient's benefit amount for 2017. Anyone else here not received this form yet? In the past, usually I receive this form by the middle of December.

I was thinking the same thing. I have not received mine yet. Also is there a raise this year. Since we didn't get one last year.

Perhaps it's the correo here just being slow again. Re a 2017 COLA, it's a paltry 0.03 percent.

I live in congreso and received the SSA-4926-SM-F form in the mail today.

Back