Social Security Checks

I received an email today from the Federal Benefits Unit about this meeting:

The U.S. Embassy in pleased to announce a Federal Benefits Town Hall meeting to discuss Social Security and other U.S. federal benefits programs. Please provide your name and identification number (DNI) for admission to the meeting. For current Social Security benefits recipients, this is a great opportunity to submit your foreign enforcement questionnaire if you have not done so already. Space is limited. The deadline for registering is Wednesday, August 16.

Location: Gingles Auditorium/ U.S. Embassy, Buenos Aires Av. Colombia 4300 Buenos Aires
Date: 08/22/2017 (Tue.) Time: 3:00pm - 4:00pm EDT
Please register for the information session via the following link: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080848abab2da3fc1-buenos
For more information about U.S. Social Security and other federal benefits please visit:
https://ar.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/

If you're receiving retirement benefits from the Social Security Administration, you should have received a letter about your benefits for 2018 in the mail this week with the news of a 2.0% increase because of a rise in the cost of living.

Previous increases:
2011 - 0
2012 - 3.6%
2013 - 1.7%
2014 - 1.5%
2015 - 1.7%
2016 - 0
2017 - 0.3%

My January 2018 benefits check was deposited two days ago in my US credit union account.

Years ago someone sent me a check from the US. It never arrived. Turned out it was stolen and deposited to an account in Chile! I went to the Correo Central (now the Kirchner Center) to file a complaint. The official told me that it was not wise to do so as it is illegal in Argentina to send checks through the mail. It amazes me that you got a Social Security check in the mail - and that the US government would pay for foreign postage. I remember years ago a window at the US Consulate office in BA for Social Security payments. That service has probably ended.

If you're receiving retirement benefits from the Social Security Administration, you should have received a letter about your benefits for 2018 in the mail this week with the news of a 2.0% increase because of a rise in the cost of living.

Previous increases:
2011 - 0
2012 - 3.6%
2013 - 1.7%
2014 - 1.5%
2015 - 1.7%
2016 - 0
2017 - 0.3%

My January 2018 benefits check was deposited two days ago in my US credit union account.

Not all are created equal...! I receive a SSA deposit in my US bank acct. On the 3rd. of each month, Sometimes on the 2nd..?? But 2 days before month end. After that must wait a day for the funds to become available?

I see everyone positive on XOOM. Are bank-to-bank transfers on a monthly basis (US to Argentine dollar account) less desirable for a reason? Or is this simply not possible? I am anticipating the need to do one or the other.

RIA money transfer is much better than xoom because you can receive US dollars, but you need a middleman to send you the money from the USA.

If you're receiving retirement benefits from the Social Security Administration, you should have received a letter about your benefits for 2019 in the mail this week with the news of a 2.8% increase because of a rise in the cost of living.

If you're receiving retirement benefits from the Social Security Administration, you should have received a letter about your benefits for 2019 in the mail this week with the news of a 2.8% increase because of a rise in the cost of living.
I got mine today. It was a pleasant surprise.

Some years a check sent to me never arrived from the US. I went to the Correo Central to file a complaint. I was told by the employee that it is illegal to send checks through the mail and that it would not be wise for me to file a complaint, especially as the sum was not large. As it turned out, someone in Chile cashed the check.

Back