Social Tensions in Buenos Aires

AnalogDreamer said:
Are you saying a bus hit a child and left the dead body on the ground??? Am I understandong this correctly?
I don't believe so, even when this city is caotic and has problems that are hard to understand, I know that wouldn't fly.

I don't get where people is getting that inhabitants from the villas are "illegals". Did you ask for their documents? Does that make them 2nd class citizens?
At my age, most everyone is a kid. The fatality was a young man, maybe 20. He was on a bicycle. The bus pulled out from a stop and clipped him. The ambulance finally came and removed the body: 20 minutes. The police did finally show up about three hours later to retrieve the bicycle. That is the way it happened my friend. No sea story here. Quite a few people seen the incident, but no official has taken any statements or seemed to want any. I am as dismayed as anyone. I am at a loss for an explanation myself.

Frankly, that's shocking.
Were you not able to do anything to help? CPR? Anything?

I have to wonder just how many people on the forum are "illegals"?

Anyway, as mentioned, prepare yourselves, this is a minor manifestation of deeper underlying social unrest and generations of classist wealth management. Every 10 years there's a major change that produces no major changes.

Gringoboy said:
Frankly, that's shocking.
Were you not able to do anything to help? CPR? Anything?
Observed the event from my balcony. Went down to see what could be done, however the apartment security guard was already there and quite a few people were helping or trying to help by the time I got there. The blood pool was huge and will spare you the graphics: internal bleeding. It happened on a busy street: Acoyte. Just could not comprehend the bus driver leaving and the absence of the police to maintain some sort of order. It was a bad day all around for this Gomer. I enjoy Buenos Aires and spend about half my time here. However, seems things have changed for the worst lately. Maybe it is me? Wish no ill will for Argentina, but it seems they are doomed for self destruction.

dennisr said:
Observed the event from my balcony. Went down to see what could be done, however the apartment security guard was already there and quite a few people were helping or trying to help by the time I got there. The blood pool was huge and will spare you the graphics: internal bleeding. It happened on a busy street: Acoyte. Just could not comprehend the bus driver leaving and the absence of the police to maintain some sort of order. It was a bad day all around for this Gomer. I enjoy Buenos Aires and spend about half my time here. However, seems things have changed for the worst lately. Maybe it is me? Wish no ill will for Argentina, but it seems they are doomed for self destruction.

That's just *terrible*. Wow. I can't blame you for feeling more jaded than ever having seen that. Sometimes it blows my mind how people (ie that bus driver) could respond to such a tragedy. That poor bicyclist. My guess is the bus driver took off because it's unlikely that anybody would track the death to him, and if they took the time to it's unlikely that he would ever be prosecuted. This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me think that indeed Argentina is headed down a very destructive path unless some major social improvements (judicial, police, *infrastructure* changes) are made. sigh.

AnalogDreamer said:
Are you saying a bus hit a child and left the dead body on the ground??? Am I understandong this correctly?
I don't believe so, even when this city is caotic and has problems that are hard to understand, I know that wouldn't fly.quote]

I feel the same way. I remember crossing Charcas at Ecuador one day and a very elderly couple, arms linked, was walking through the crosswalk when one of them stumbled, fell, and brought the other one down with them. I've never seen this city come to a shrieking halt so quickly. Cars stopped, and people from all four corners of the intersection ran to them to help them up, make sure they were ok, and get them safely to the other side...it was not a quick process yet not one horn honked. The elderly and youngsters are beloved here.

dennisr said:

So sorry you witnessed such a tragedy...those are the kind of things that stay with you and leave a bruise on your soul.

Back