Some Questions For Planned Move To Ba Later This Year

BlizzardMan

Registered
Hello,

I am currently undergoing TEFL certification and plan to move to Buenos Aires in August to teach English. As someone who focused on Latin American (specifically Argentine) history in school I am extremely excited about this adventure, but I definitely have some things I'm worried about...

1. While immersing myself in a new culture and improving my Spanish is certainly a central goal of this move, I would still have a strong desire to meet and socialize with other English speakers. Is there a sizeable, reasonably organized community of people from English-speaking countries in BA or do expats tend to be somewhat dispersed and/or limited to their academic/professional cliques? Are there bars, clubs, social institutions, etc. that cater to younger English speakers?

2. Another concern is in immediate logistics. Once my plane touches down and I get through customs...where should I go and what do I need to do? What sort of hostels or other lodging should I be looking at before I line up a job/apartment? Being reluctant to do any major shipping, are there furnished apartments available on the market? What should I do as far as currency?

3. What should I prepare for in regards to devices and technology? What do you recommend as far as phone and internet service?

If anybody has some pointers on these topics, it would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to learning more through these forums!

BlizzardMan:
Although your questions have been asked and answered many times on this forum ( I suggest you should look up back issues to find them) I am moved to write you about one aspect of your post´:your interest in Latin American and Argentine history which is my main interest also.it was the principal reason I came here in !979,started an in -company English instruction business,and then lived,worked and retired here.
If you are interested I belong to MEET UP Groups that deal with different subjects in Spanish.One Lideres y Talentos could be helpful for you.If so,please PM me for details.If not,maybe we can compare notes some time at a Coffee Chat.

Do you have a job set up to teach English?
Not to be discouraging, but this forum's history is full of expats who wanted to come here to teach English, but quickly realized that there are far more people available to teach English in BA than people who want to learn it (and pay well for the instruction). I would strongly, strongly encourage you to really think through how you are going to make a living here before you jump on that plane. It's certainly not impossible, but Argentina isn't affordable like it was 10 years or so ago, so you will need to arrive with either a good savings or some semblance of a well-paying job.
Some answers to your questions:
1. Yes, and this forum is a good place to find them.
2. Look at Airbnb, etc. to find a furnished apartment, as it will be cheaper than a hotel. Use the search function to find info about neighborhoods. Most young expats end up around Palermo, although for that reason it is pricey. You are arriving in winter, so that should help with availability and cost. Set up the first few weeks of lodging at least before you arrive. Bring as much cash as is legal and that you are comfortable with carrying. Be careful with it, of course.
3. You can bring a jailbroken iPhone with you and connect it with one of the local carriers. Internet service is more complicated. Ideally, your furnished apartment will include internet, because getting it is a pain.

Your curiosity and enthusiasm will help too!

I would doubt very much if someone could live in BA on an English teacher's salary. I read,a few days ago, that inflation, here is running at 40%,a year !!! As everything gets more expensive,many people won't consider learning English as a top priority.
Back to the drawing board.

Hello,

I am currently undergoing TEFL certification and plan to move to Buenos Aires in August to teach English. As someone who focused on Latin American (specifically Argentine) history in school I am extremely excited about this adventure, but I definitely have some things I'm worried about...

1. While immersing myself in a new culture and improving my Spanish is certainly a central goal of this move, I would still have a strong desire to meet and socialize with other English speakers. Is there a sizeable, reasonably organized community of people from English-speaking countries in BA or do expats tend to be somewhat dispersed and/or limited to their academic/professional cliques? Are there bars, clubs, social institutions, etc. that cater to younger English speakers?

2. Another concern is in immediate logistics. Once my plane touches down and I get through customs...where should I go and what do I need to do? What sort of hostels or other lodging should I be looking at before I line up a job/apartment? Being reluctant to do any major shipping, are there furnished apartments available on the market? What should I do as far as currency?

3. What should I prepare for in regards to devices and technology? What do you recommend as far as phone and internet service?

If anybody has some pointers on these topics, it would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to learning more through these forums!

Blizzard Man

Its refreshing to see someone each week wanting to experience Argentina.
To seriously answer all your questions would require many many pages
Please research the Forum Files
The Forum should develop (easy to find) reference files on these subjects

A Crude approximation to surviving on English lessons.

At $150 pesos an hour?? (if you get that) you would need a minimum of 25 hours a week or five hours per day every week day..! If you go to the students location you need a minimum of 3 hours commute or a total of 8 hours per day.

Good Luck

Don't worry, Be afraid, be very afraid! - YouTube

And read this:

How To Find A Good Tefl Job In Ba?

PS: I found the above thread using the "advanced search" feature (also referred to as "back issues") of this website.
emo32.gif

Back