Something to think about this thanksgiving

Shameful to share a nationality with people like you.
No wonder we lost the Republic.

Greenman said:
Shameful to share a nationality with people like you.
No wonder we lost the Republic.

Great video, and I agree with the points of the video. I think if people in the United States were aware of the countless contradictions made by their government, they'd be surprised -- or perhaps they'd go back to watching Sarah Palin reality shows and videos showing animal cruelty.

I think part of the problem is the idea of nationality, which you manifested in the posts above. Why should just "Americans" be thinking about this today? Why not everyone? The people involved in this conflict are all our brothers and sisters.

How is an Israeli any different from a Palestinian? Sure, the languages might be different, and there are religious differences. But what is different fundamentally?

From what I've seen in my life thus far, nationality is nothing more racism, sexism, homophobia, or any other discriminatory concept. It separates peoples, removes their humanity, and deduces them to an arbitrary title that is valued or devalued depending on numerous factors.

The problem with the video is that it endorses divisive concepts. It seeks to heal divisions by promoting them, an obvious contradiction. These people aren't Israelis or Palestinians. They're living, breathing human beings. Every single one of them.

So long as people see themselves as different and completely removed from the rest of humanity, we will never be able to end wars like the ones in Palestine, Iraq, or Afghanistan. What interest would people have in other people who are viewed as practically alien?

Back