somewhere to recharge the batteries?

lewitravel

Registered
Hi,

I've been in BA about 8 months now and dealing with the authorities obtaining my residency, learning Spanish from scratch and job hunting without documents has taken it's toll.

I got my documents but rather than being happy I'm just relieved. I have started the job hunt again but I'm not excited at the moment.

What I'm thinking is I need a getaway for a few days maybe a week. Some placed chilled out where I can try out my spanish and get my mojo back.

Any ideas - I'm going along the lines of Punta del Este / Diablo but is it too early for the main season? Or what about Chile?

Thanks in advance

Wow, good for you for doing all that in eight months! You must be exhausted by now.

I loved Punta del Diablo and think it's a great place to chill and recharge your batteries, but it is pretty packed during the high season. All the beaches are. I think going in November would be perfect. As for Punta del Este, it's supposed to be one of those fashionable see-and-be-seen summer destinations for wealthy Argentines, so knowing which vibe you prefer will help you choose. Diablo was super casual and a bit bohemian, which I enjoyed. It's also the (much) more affordable option.

I wouldn't recommend Chile at this point because if you have been building your Spanish from scratch, you might spend the whole trip stressed, trying to adapt your ear to their accent and slang.

I always think of Punta del Este as'' Recoleta with a beach.'' The town is vertually dead, until Christmas.

If you want a city, I'd recommend Santiago. Compared to BsAs, it's quiet, clean, safe, and organized. I just spent the weekend there and loved it.

If you want the city vibe yet to have a waterfront, I'd go for Montevideo or Florianopolis

Punta del Este is Nice wanna-be. Got same pseudo-French snobby vibe of Recoleta

I have friends in Montevideo and I'm going for New Years. I know Punta del Este is a snobby place but before peak season maybe it's chilled out or as someone said dead. Punta del diablo seems like might sort of place - I think if I go to Chile I won't want to come back to BA! Any suggestions in Arg?

If you really want to relax, check out La Pedrera in Uruguay. December is great since the hoards haven't arrived yet.

Back