Soon to be San Francisco expat moving to BA

knoxville

Registered
Hi All,

I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Hi! I'll be living in Buenos Aires for a few months starting in February. At the moment my only plans are Spanish classes, eating steak, and traveling in and around Argentina. In May I'm heading out for an around the world trip that will take the rest of the year.

In a previous life I worked as a grassroots organizer and tech guy on the Barack Obama campaign and the thing after the campaign. Eventually I left as it turns out I lack the necessary proclivity for bloodletting, torture, and self-flagellation that a job in politics requires. Before that, I worked at Craigslist helping people find jobs, a couch, or an excitable strangers to have sex with. I'm in San Francisco, where I've lived for most of my adult life, although to be fair it is difficult to determine just when childhood ends in this city.

I know it's a ways off before I actually walk through EZE, I thought it was as good of time as any to join.

Sean

Three months in BA and environs and 9 months traveling through the rest of the world??? You´re kidding? Coming to BA to learn Spanish seems like a great idea. I lived in SF for many years and was there, last month, so I know that it would be impossible to learn Spanish there. Almost no one speaks Spanish in SF; what a pity. Since I and possibly most of the readers of BAEXPATS have never been involved with politics, would you please explain ''the thing after the campaign''? It must be nice to be rich. One more comment, por favor (please). Why would any Democrat spend any money on a campaign in SF? If Nancy spent US$1.00 to get reelectd, she´d win in a landslide.

I too grew up in the Bay Area (Novato) and have been in B. A. about a year, before that I lived in the Phoenix area. In the spring of 2010 I visited the bay area and found that the Spanish revolution had invaded there, everywhere I went people spoke spanish...reminded me of Phoenix

Good luck in your journey. Remember that its the people you meet along the way that will create the best memories, not the places you go to. And of course, as you probably know, wherever you go there you are.
Have fun.
By the way, the weather in BA in Feb is oppresive , like NYC in August. You might want to alter your schedule so as to arrive in mid March when the weather is good.

p.s. The best way to learn a new language is the total immersion method. Find a local girl who speaks almost no English and live with her.

Hey there.

From one fellow Xpat to another i totally recommend learning spanish in a smaller more intimate school. The big ones turn over people too quick and there is no continuity in the classes. I am part of a small class of 5 students, that study in a beautiful flat in recoleta. Our teacher is from Columbia, one of the most genuine lovely people ive met here or anywhere. We study from 10:45am-12:45pm monday to friday, and we make our own empanadas for lunch aswell (included) im AWESOME at them now :)

Anyways, should you want to come and meet the group let me know and ill be happy to help you out.

Happy travels

^ Yep, to learn enough to say at least... Yo quiero taco bell y dos tacos sin cebolla por favor.

Back