Spanish Text book (and whey protien?)

Scelesta

Registered
I am looking for a spanish textbook to supplement my private classes - I am not a big fan of the materials both of my teachers are using, and I want something with a workbook attached so I can reinforce stuff I have learned. I have heard that private teachers tend not to teach with homework in mind because student tend not to do it.

Anyone have great experiences with books? Ones that I can acquire here also...

On an off note- anyone interested in buying an almost full container of Whey protien supplement? I was able to get ahold of the soy powder that I prefer... it was 100 pesos, I will sell it for 60.

Hi,

The best book shop for Spanish students (and teachers, of course) is Voces del Sur.

I would drop in and see by myself.

VOCES DEL SUR
Rivadavia 1401 - Tel/Fax: (+54-11) 5218 6743
Mon to Fri 9.30 to 19.30 hs. and Sat 9.30 to 13.00 hs.

Hope it helps.

I don't want your whey: I'm afraid I pour unwanted whey down the sink whenever I'm making my own ricota. However, books... have you considered using the textbooks that students use in school? They are cheap(ish) and you should be able to find a level that suits you because they are graded year 6, year 7, etc and available from any bookshop that stocks them for a local school. I have used year 7 from this series... http://www.lsf.com.ar/libros/71/LENGUA-9-EGB-SANTILLANA-HOY/default.html

elhombresinnombre said:
have you considered using the textbooks that students use in school? They are cheap(ish) and you should be able to find a level that suits you because they are graded year 6, year 7, etc and available from any bookshop that stocks them for a local school. I have used year 7 from this series... http://www.lsf.com.ar/libros/71/LENGUA-9-EGB-SANTILLANA-HOY/default.html

That might be a good idea for a complementary text book. They normally have a good selection of short stories and comprehension tests. However, I wouldn´t ignore the fact that those books are focussed on people who don´t need to know how to speak but rather why do they speak as they do. There is a bunch of exercises about sytax analysis, synonims and antonyms, Jakobson´s communication circuit, etc. There are few exercises or explanations on when to use the tenses, let alone the books with a new era orientation.

I would buy one of these but I would still buy another one, specialized in ELE education.

I think Voces del Sur is the one both of my teachers have, and I have to say I am not a fan. Reading examples of conversations does not really help me learn. I need to learn the pieces and then be forced to put them together myself if the information is ever going to stick.

I think I school text book would probably be helpful, because I do want to be able to read and write as well.

Thanks to the advice so far!

About the book, I bought Temas de Gramática del Español como Lengua Extranjera de Dorotea Inés Lieberman. She is a UBA professor and has been teaching Spanish to foreigners for the last 20 years.

The book discusses all the relevant grammar and comes with exercises (and corrections). The book, although published in 2007, is a bit old-fashioned: no infographics, illustrations etc. but its really good in explaining the rules of grammar, and also why the rules are as they are. This greatly helps you to discover the structure and logic of the Spanish logic. It also shows where the Español Rioplatense differs from Castillian Spanish. The book is especially aimed at foreigners trying to learn Spanish w/out all the childish BS.

I bought it at Unicenter (Boutique del Libro - tel# 4717-4873) in September 2007, but I'm shure they sell it in a lot of places. I think I payed about AR$40 for it, but call the number above for a current price quote. ISBN# 987-950-23-1560-7.

Back