Start up business

jb5, there are numerous definitions of 'non-profit' and the fact that an organization pays salaries to some of the people who work there does not mean it cannot be a 'non-profit.' I think Phil might be confused about what the term means, but it appears you are too. Of course, the term means some specific things to the IRS in the US, and it probably means very different things here in Argentina. I don't know Argentinian tax laws very well, but in the US there are several classes of 'non-profit' organizations, the main thing they have in common is that there are no stock holders and the organization cannot pay out dividends or similar things. There are no limits on what fees they charge, and in many cases they can pay whatever salaries they see fit. For example, 5 years ago I was offered an opportunity to create and deliver computer security training by a non-profit computer security education organization, the CEO told me I could make $4-5,000 per week of training. I know the CEO was making a great deal of money, he was a very active lobbyist on Capitol Hill who used his influence to direct more business to his non-profit. All completely legal and above board, perhaps distasteful, but still legal. After he concluded that we disagreed on a number of things he withdrew his offer, life goes on:)

Back