Starting A Business In Buenos Aires

Easiest and best thing to do is just come here and over stay.

Big Al ... Please don't give advice like that.

Unsuspecious reader will get stuck and complaicent in an illusion for 9 years like I did. (Wish I found BAExpats earlier ... !!!!!)

It is not the horror story it's made to be.

Much better and easier ..... Have a look here: .. http://baexpats.org/...hl__immigration

When I, as well as most expats, use the term "work" visa we are referring to the temporary residency that is granted when someone has a work contract with a business that is registered with migraciones to employ foreigners.

Just to clarify for anyone who is considering seeking employment in Argentina, expats with a work contract who are granted temporary residency and do not have a financial interest in the company for whom they work do not have to register as "responsable inscripto", or pay the IVA, ganancias, autónomo, or pay an accountant each month, or pay payroll taxes, etc.

You obviously found a great way to avoid the huge investment required to obtain an investor visa, which, in 2009 I believe was actually much lower in pesos than it is today. If I remember correctly, it was Dr Rubilar who provided the information regarding the increase in the minimum amount. Perhaps he can confirm when the change occurred and if there was actually an increase or decrease in the amount required.

Yes, that is true Steve. If a company is willing to give you an employment contract, none of what I mentioned would have to be paid by the employee. Since I was the employer, and technically the employee, me and my business paid all of those costs.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

According to the information in the link which you provided, the fee for an investment visa in Argentina is $600 pesos plus $35 for the DNI...(about $80.00 US dollars).

And as noted in my previous post, in oder to qualify for the inversionista visa, an investment of ONE MILLION, FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND pesos is required.

At today's official rate of 8 to one, that amounts to ONE HUNDRED, EIGHTY-SEVEN THOUSAND, AND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS...not $180.00

Oh I'm sorry, I thought it was clear that when I wrote 180 you would realize that I was talking about 187500 (the number you had put up in your previous post) not one hundred and and eighty pesos (a number that has nothing to do with absolutely anything).

Oh I'm sorry, I thought it was clear that when I wrote 180 you would realize that I was talking about 187500 (the number you had put up in your previous post) not one hundred and and eighty pesos (a number that has nothing to do with absolutely anything).

How could anyone who can count equate 180 with 187,500? I suggest you go back and reread the posts. You wrote $180.00 referring to the cost of a visa foreigners pay here compared to Argentines in the USA. I did not introduce that number:

Do you have any idea what most investment visas cost these days? $180 is not expensive at all. Its a FRACTION of what most of the argentines I know are paying for their US visas.

Are you saying the "$180 here is actually $187,000 and that is " a FRACTION of what most of the argentines (you) know are paying for their US visas." (?)

Are most of the Argentines you know applying for investment visas in the USA? Even if they are, and the investment requirement is significantly higher in the USA, that does not mean that they are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for their visas.

I never learned the kind of math that equates 180 with 187,500. Nonetheless, I did learn that an investment is different than a payment.

Actually, when you wrote $180 I thought you were referring to the cost of an Argentina visa in dollars (not pesos) and thought the "1" in that figure could have been a typo. That's why I noted the cost of a visa (including the DNI) in Argentina is about $80 US dollars.

How could anyone who can count equate 180 with 187,500?
Are you saying the "$180 here is actually $187,000 and that is " a FRACTION of what most of the argentines (you) know are paying for their US visas." (?)

Are most of the Argentines you know applying for investment visas in the USA? Even if they are, and the investment requirement is significantly higher in the USA, that does not mean that they are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for their visas.

I never learned the kind of math that equates 180 with 187,500. Nonetheless, I did learn that an investment is different than a payment.

Actually, when you wrote $180 I thought you were referring to the cost of an Argentina visa in dollars (not pesos) and thought the "1" in that figure could have been a typo. That's why I noted the cost of a visa (including the DNI) in Argentina is about $80 US dollars.

When talking about large numbers it's fairly common to leave off the decimals. We weren't talking about visa application fees, we were talking about the requirements for an investor visa. E2 visas don't have fixed amounts, I know someone who got approved with less than $400,000 and someone who has over $800 (coma zero zero zero) tied up and was denied.

Yes, these are investments not payments, just like the 187500 is an investment not a payment.

I´ve never known anyone who has invested $180,000 U$D in Argentina and gotten residency because of it. I know some business owners that have invested here and have invested MUCH MORE than that, and got residency to simplify the legality of things, like being able to open accounts, sign checks, and assign power(s) of authority to others, not necesary to live here permanently. Anybody else I know who has residency got it some other way, either by being a pensioner, passive income, marriage, employment contract, etc and some of those people have started different types of businesses, either working independently or PYMES, with MUCH less than $180,000 U$D, I am sure very few if any people get residency that way for that amount of money.

Big Al ... Please don't give advice like that.

Unsuspecious reader will get stuck and complaicent in an illusion for 9 years like I did. (Wish I found BAExpats earlier ... !!!!!)

It is not the horror story it's made to be.

Much better and easier ..... Have a look here: .. http://baexpats.org/...hl__immigration
What problems did you have? I know a lot of people who overstay because its just much more hassle free than making runs. FYI you're in Argentina, you need to learn the art of bribing.

What problems did you have? I know a lot of people who overstay because its just much more hassle free than making runs. FYI you're in Argentina, you need to learn the art of bribing.

The problem stared me in the face when my 2nd Canadian Driver License expired.

[background=transparent]Canadian D.L. requires them taking photo in person. (can not be done by mail or online).[/background]

[background=transparent]Argentina will issue a D.L. ONLY for my valid Residency (90 days, 1 year, permanent, etc...). No Residency, .. no D.L.[/background]

[background=transparent]Both options required crossing the border. I was boxed in.

Searching the net for creative ways, ... none. But then I stumbled on BAExpats, ... [/background]

[background=transparent]Explained: .... It's against the law. And after 9 years, it is a tad bit too ridiculous to go anywhere near the borders (I'd be really asking for it).[/background]
[background=transparent](thought to myself, I wouldn't give me a new 90 days if I were an immigration officer, I'd rather be calling law enforcing personnel instead)[/background]

[background=transparent]Finally found that famous long long long thread by SteveInBA ... "Argentine Citizenship for Foreigners". Then all down hill from there.[/background]

[background=transparent]As for bribery: Do you have an example how it is done? Can you really bribe an immigration officer?[/background]

I bribed traffic police on MarDelPlata Routa 2 several times (Headlights have to be ON .. even in broad day light .. (doesn't matter if they have them OFF midnight in Capital Federal) ). First time he scared the carp out of me ... threatened to confiscate my car, ... but then suddenly he just slipped his hand through my side window. But immigration officer ?? .... How is it done?

The problem stared me in the face when my 2nd Canadian Driver License expired.

[background=transparent]Canadian D.L. requires them taking photo in person. (can not be done by mail or online).[/background]

[background=transparent]Argentina will issue a D.L. ONLY for my valid Residency (90 days, 1 year, permanent, etc...). No Residency, .. no D.L.[/background]

[background=transparent]Both options required crossing the border. I was boxed in.

Searching the net for creative ways, ... none. But then I stumbled on BAExpats, ... [/background]

[background=transparent]Explained: .... It's against the law. And after 9 years, it is a tad bit too ridiculous to go anywhere near the borders (I'd be really asking for it).[/background]
[background=transparent](thought to myself, I wouldn't give me a new 90 days if I were an immigration officer, I'd rather be calling law enforcing personnel instead)[/background]

[background=transparent]Finally found that famous long long long thread by SteveInBA ... "Argentine Citizenship for Foreigners". Then all down hill from there.[/background]

[background=transparent]As for bribery: Do you have an example how it is done? Can you really bribe an immigration officer?[/background]

I bribed traffic police on MarDelPlata Routa 2 several times (Headlights have to be ON .. even in broad day light .. (doesn't matter if they have them OFF midnight in Capital Federal) ). First time he scared the carp out of me ... threatened to confiscate my car, ... but then suddenly he just slipped his hand through my side window. But immigration officer ?? .... How is it done?
Money goes along way here... ;)

I´ve never known anyone who has invested $180,000 U$D in Argentina and gotten residency because of it.

For much much much less than ten thousand in lawyer's fees, you can become a citizen in 2 years. You can even do it on your own if you're Spanish is good enough and you're good at not taking "No" for an answer. Why would you look to start by investing US$180,00 in a business just to get residency?

Que raro, no?

Back