State-of-the-art electric bus to begin service in BA

MilHojas

Registered
this would be a fantastic improvement to quality of life in the city.

Electricity still must be generated to charge the bus, so there's no guarantee that any actual reduction in pollution will take place. Now, given the realities of diesel engines, I do strongly suspect that some reduction will happen, but calling it "zero emissions" or "non-polluting" is entirely misleading.

There is also the issue of lithium, which is a highly toxic material. How will the used batteries be disposed of at the end of their service life? As far as I know, there exists no long-range plan to deal with this issue. And, at the other end of the cycle, lithium refining generates large amounts of highly toxic waste. How will this be dealt with? The potential exists for large fleets of Li-powered vehicles to actually wind up being even more polluting than their IC counterparts, in the long run, when the whole cycle is considered. But of course nobody talks about this, they just cherry-pick the small slice of the issue that looks good.

Now, I'm not saying I am against electric vehicles. I am just saying we need to look at the big picture and make an intelligent decision based upon the whole cycle and the whole issue.

Personally, I think this is a better solution -

Still would be better than listening to the windows in your apt shake every 5 minutes if you happen to be unlucky enough to live on a bus route.

Electricity still must be generated to charge the bus, so there's no guarantee that any actual reduction in pollution will take place. Now, given the realities of diesel engines, I do strongly suspect that some reduction will happen, but calling it "zero emissions" or "non-polluting" is entirely misleading.

There is also the issue of lithium, which is a highly toxic material. How will the used batteries be disposed of at the end of their service life? As far as I know, there exists no long-range plan to deal with this issue. And, at the other end of the cycle, lithium refining generates large amounts of highly toxic waste. How will this be dealt with? The potential exists for large fleets of Li-powered vehicles to actually wind up being even more polluting than their IC counterparts, in the long run, when the whole cycle is considered. But of course nobody talks about this, they just cherry-pick the small slice of the issue that looks good.

Now, I'm not saying I am against electric vehicles. I am just saying we need to look at the big picture and make an intelligent decision based upon the whole cycle and the whole issue.

i very much agree with this. but around here there seems to be little to no control of vehicles, camiones, buses, etc spewing diesel smoke all over. so i'm just looking at it from an air quality point of view.

there is plenty of room here to add some electrics and renewables where it makes sense.

this would be a fantastic improvement to quality of life in the city.

Anything that would make this city livable without earplugs gets two big thumbs up from me!

How will the used batteries be disposed of at the end of their service life?
Ask Elon Musk. How are laptop and cell phone batteries disposed now?
Hydrogen is cleaner? Isn't it produced by splitting water molecules with electricity?

Anything that would make this city livable without earplugs gets two big thumbs up from me!

Ask Elon Musk. How are laptop and cell phone batteries disposed now?

Hydrogen is cleaner? Isn't it produced by splitting water molecules with electricity?

Wind power might be the cleanest, but even that still has drawbacks.

Back