Status of foreign parent when child is born in Argentina

I'll add a bit more context. I work in Spain (I'm from Ireland) and only come in/out of Argentina on the 90 day tourist visa at the moment. However, I'm guessing that I would have to spend an extended, unbroken period here before I could even begin to apply for a DNI? But how do I do that if I can only enter/exit every 90 days? Or can I actually enter on some other visa because of my Argentinian wife/baby?

In theory, I could transfer from the Spanish office to the Argentinian office of the company that I work for. However, I have pretty much ruled that out as I have no desire to commit financial suicide and get paid in pesos instead of euro.

The baby was born a few days ago. All good. I will be applying for his Irish passport asap as it carries much more weight than an Argentinian one (will obviously get one of those too).

You can apply for permanent residency now. No need to wait for anything. As soon as you apply online via Radex you will be issued a Precaria which is a temp residency while you case is reviewed. With his precaria you can live here and travel in and out, no need to do the 90 days tourists runs.

In theory, I could transfer from the Spanish office to the Argentinian office of the company that I work for. However, I have pretty much ruled that out as I have no desire to commit financial suicide and get paid in pesos instead of euro.
I am guessing you may be able to get your PR and never establish tax residency in Argentina, provided you continue to live in and work from Spain more than six months of the year.

I'll add a bit more context. I work in Spain (I'm from Ireland) and only come in/out of Argentina on the 90 day tourist visa at the moment. However, I'm guessing that I would have to spend an extended, unbroken period here before I could even begin to apply for a DNI? But how do I do that if I can only enter/exit every 90 days? Or can I actually enter on some other visa because of my Argentinian wife/baby?

The baby was born a few days ago. All good. I will be applying for his Irish passport asap as it carries much more weight than an Argentinian one (will obviously get one of those too).
Applying in an Argentine Consulate is more expensive but with the bureaucracy here, it's 200% worth it. I got my permanent residency at a consulate abroad, applied for my DNI 4 days after entering Argentina, and 10 days later my DNI was delivered by mail. The required documents are kind of the same if you either decide to do it in Argentina or at a consulate.

I am guessing you may be able to get your PR and never establish tax residency in Argentina, provided you continue to live in and work from Spain more than six months of the year.
But you may be on the hook to pay income tax in Argentina if you spend more than six months of the year here and your monthly income exceeds $330.000 ARS per month (as of tomorrow).

Yep, Steve, that is my ballpark plan at the moment...

Applying in an Argentine Consulate is more expensive but with the bureaucracy here, it's 200% worth it. I got my permanent residency at a consulate abroad, applied for my DNI 4 days after entering Argentina, and 10 days later my DNI was delivered by mail. The required documents are kind of the same if you either decide to do it in Argentina or at a consulate.
Thanks, El manolo. Based on your experience, I think that I might apply for it at the Argentinian Embassy in Madrid.

So, I am trying to begin the process of getting permanent residency. The Argentine Consulate here in Spain has told me to apply for it via the DNM website. This appears to be the link: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/servicio/radicaciones-no-mercosur-residencia-permanente

Has anyone applied for residency via this method? How does one obtain a "Certificado de Antecedentes Penales Argentinos"? I have only entered/exited on a tourist visa previously. Any other "gotchas" that I need to look out for?

Thanks.

So, I am trying to begin the process of getting permanent residency. The Argentine Consulate here in Spain has told me to apply for it via the DNM website. This appears to be the link: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/servicio/radicaciones-no-mercosur-residencia-permanente

Has anyone applied for residency via this method? How does one obtain a "Certificado de Antecedentes Penales Argentinos"? I have only entered/exited on a tourist visa previously. Any other "gotchas" that I need to look out for?

Thanks.
You can only apply via DNM website if you are physically present in Argentina. Maybe you didn't use the correct term in your conversation with the Embassy. You would apply for a visa, a family reunification visa if you are in Spain.

Back