Still an American at heart

I've been here over 8 years now, and I thought I'd adjusted, but maybe not.

I was late getting around to dinner Sunday night. Of the three restaurants I patronise on a regular basis, two were closed and the third one only serves burgers, for which I was not in the mood. So I took a long walk south down Suipacha to Lavalle, across to Florida, and back north to where it ends in the park with the giant statue of San Marrin. I almost stopped at the McDonalds, but decided not to at the last minute. Anyhow, I wound up in a medium-sized place I'd never been before. The lady at the reception desk when I walked in was snappy and businesslike, and I was hopeful.

After sitting at a table for 12-15 minutes with zero attention, no menu, no drinks, not even an "I'll be right with you", I was annoyed. Maybe it's having worked restaurant business myself for so many years, but I was just really steamed. There are three waiters, all wandering around at a leisurely pace with a "me chupa un huevo" attitude, and 3 other tables that I saw in my same situation.

Finally a waiter deigns to wander over to my table and give me a surly, "what?" Not "how can I help you, sorry for the long wait", just "yeah, what?". I asked for a menu, and he rolled his eyes heavenward, as if it was the most unreasonable thing he'd heard in weeks. A few minutes later he tossed onto the table a little card with a QR code, smirked at me, and walked away.

Needless to say, I stood up and walked out. I came home and found some carne picada in the refrigerator, so I made myself...a burger. Hey, at least I had a long walk in the fresh air. That counts for something.

Well taken points the QR code is a bummer, also inconsistency of quality at the same place, same dish.
Anecdote; a parrilla place I used to visit had this great bife the costilla, so I went back the next week for another steak, was not great..! Asked the owner why this happened . He replied not all cows are the same...! PLOP.

Also, if you walk in the resto close to closing time , waiters are upset because it means staying longer, when they were ready to call it a day...!

Many times in threads like these I have been the devil's advocate.

And it's the same story that I share: I went to a small (expensive) bakery in the US to buy some mixed cookies to take to a get-together - not my first experience with the bakery, but my first large purchase there. They put my order in an attractive box and tied a branded ribbon around it as if it were a gift. As I was watching, I thought, "Incredible...just like in Argentina, where there is pride in presentation."

I don't know if I'm just choosing the right businesses in Buenos Aires, or if I'm so likeable that I'm treated with more care and courtesy (very doubtful), but my experiences are very different - not always, but most often.

The other day our family went to eat at a restaurant, Tucson in the shopping center Unicenter. It was about 9 AM during the week, which as you know is not that late to be eating in Argentina. The waiter that was going to seat us then informed us that the kitchen was closed. We thought it very odd, so as we were leaving we commented about it to one of the staff. They were horrified and immediately got us another table and another waiter.

This kind of thing goes on all over the place. Sometimes waiters are overworked, asked to attend to twenty tables and work 80 hours a week. Sometimes they are just nutty. Sometimes they have to pay out of their salary if they drop a plate. I always try to be kind even when they are grumpy because who knows what they are going through.

On top of it, hiring someone is beyond risky for a business. You end up paying more in taxes for that employee than you do for their salary a lot of times, and if you fire them, look at paying a huge indemnización. Lots of times owners just treat their waiters badly just to get them to quit.

None of the proper conditions are in place to have good customer service anywhere. Salaries are low and companies have to cut staff because there is not enough money. The workers have an entitled mentality. And everyone is super dishonest on both sides.

For this reason we rarely eat at a restaurant, and when we do, we know it is going to be a two hour thing. If we want to eat out it's usually at a food court like a lot of other Argentines. There are a few decent places you can find that have okay service though.

Or they borrow half your tools to complete tasks.
i had the internal tank of my caldera replaced a couple weeks ago, and i didn't realize until after they left but the guys left the broken, greasy, dirty tank they pulled out in my laundry sink. presumably to drain.

for some reason they think you want to keep the broken parts??

I've been here over 8 years now, and I thought I'd adjusted, but maybe not.
I've been here for over 23 years, and I thought I'd know a con man when I met him. A guy who lives right across the street from me pulled a very smooth con on me. Money was transferred to his bank account to buy paint. He showed up one day for an hour, and the next day as well. He left a disaster and had the money he wanted. It took me all these years to learn this lesson. Some feel they are deserving of what others have and will do a con to get it. To make him nervous, I typed all the details and printed a copy for him to make him believe I was filing a report with Consumer Protection. I've seen him only once in six months since the estafa.

Last edited:
I've noticed that whenever I deal directly with the owner of a business (or one of their family members), that they are usually friendly, professional, and provide good service. When I interact with an employee or a non-owning manager, the service depends on whether or not they recognize me. If an employee likes me, they'll be friendly and helpful otherwise the experience is -on average-relatively poor.

I've lived (for more than a year) in five different countries. Interesting to think about variances in this social dynamic between owners/employees/customers in different countries and contemplate larger societal implications.

Last edited:
I stopped getting cash or paying bills at a Rapipago that is three blocks from where I live because the man was always grouchy and never friendly with a smile. I could never understand what he said. A Pago Facil is another two block walk where I am always greeted and a withdrawal with my debit card is completed in 30 SECONDS. Friendly service matters to me.

Poor service and inconsistent product are two reasons why I don't eat out much.

You can go to the same place on two separate occasions and have two wildly different experiences. To me it's just not worth the minimum 2 hour dining commitment and cost associated. I'd rather just make something at home.

Im not in BA, maybe in BA the places can make the same quality food each time? I suppose this can happen in the US just as easily but I never noticed it often enough to consider it a problem. My parents were making the same observations over the past year so maybe things have changed in the USA also?

And don't get me started on qr codes.... I've left restaurants because they refused to give a menu.
Two of my daughters, while in college in California, worked as servers at the Macaroni Grill, a chain of Italian semi-fancy restaurants. They drove their own cars to work, which was not longer than a 15-minute drive, and usually took care of 4 tables each. Their tips were either 15% or 20%, rarely less or nothing, and they did not share their tips (except with busboys). The rest went into their pockets.

In Argentina, often waiters must travel an hour or two to get to work on crowded public transportation, and need to tend ten or more tables if all other servers show up; tips are 10% if lucky, and usually shared with all, and then must return home on crowded public transportation, which may take another one to two hours, and finally, they may need to walk a few blocks to get home. Under these conditions, who wants to work as a server? On top of it all, you get people that walk away from the table if they don't get quick service or get a QR code instead of a printed menu.

It's tough to work under these conditions. Depressing is more like it. I think we should be more tolerant, and understanding, of the difficult life that many servers contend with.

being understanding is fine, but at the same time i see nothing wrong with having some minimum basic expectations for service. or, for not treating customers like an asshole. nobody is saying they need to be lightning quick and wash my feet when i enter the restaurant. but if you act like i am ruining your day and inconveniencing you by having to put in a little effort, you get zero sympathy from me.

Back