Still Asking Myself...

If you want to pay the same as most Argentineans you'll have to sign a 2 year lease. Living in a civilised part of town you will pay around 450 USD if you don't sign a 2 year lease.

Check out Craig's list.

In your place I would probably do it! If you don't like it you can always return home.
Having said that there is a long list of things that stops me from putting down roots here and I will probably return home in a year.

But I'm still glad I gave it a go!

Good luck what ever you choose!
PS I would also do a bit more research on life in BA too and what it has to offer compared to other cities.

If you Gross $9500 pesos per month, you will net at most $7600 deduct $4200 for rent (US$700 x 6 pesos per dollar) for a furnished studio. You have 3400 pesos left for all other expenses or $113 pesos per day? Consider a minimum expense of $40 pesos per day for food! Hence you must exist on $73 pesos per day.

According to INDEC this is a fabulous amount of money to live on. You can live like Queen CFK on that

2k dollars is ok if you dont have to pay rent. People -middle class- here can live with 8k pesos/month quite well.

If you Gross $9500 pesos per month, you will net at most $7600 deduct $4200 for rent (US$700 x 6 pesos per dollar) for a furnished studio. You have 3400 pesos left for all other expenses or $113 pesos per day? Consider a minimum expense of $40 pesos per day for food! Hence you must exist on $73 pesos per day.

This is right, although I would budget a bit more for food unless you're a good cook/like to do it a lot. However, it's a bit misleading to say you're living on 73 pesos per day when for me, most of my "typical day" expenses are food - around 60 pesos per day (20-30 pesos for buying lunch, 15-20 more if I cook dinner, 50-60 more if I order dinner.

Unless you are married, the average Argentine earning 9,000 - 9,500 pesos a month (gross) is living at home. If you have to live out on that, unless your eating in to savings you would have to be pretty tight on that. If you could, I would try and get your accommodation included in your package, or an additional allowance for it. Is your work going to be organising everything for your work visa?

Thank you a lot for your answers.
I finally decided to accept the offer and attempt the Argentinean adventure.
About the work visa, I still have to ask the company. I already know that unfortunately they cannot include the accommodation in the package.
I was thinking about a collocation maybe for the accommodation, but I have no idea how to find one from here. So, if you know some websites on it :)

Hi!
So a year and 4 days after my first post where I was "Still asking myself" I read again the whole topic with your replies and advice.
I am still here in Capital :cool: working for the same company and the experience I gained in my field over this year as no price. So does the social aspect.
Of course I was paid in f****** pesos (the firm is Argentinean) :lol: but it was a good surprise to see that they finally paid me 12k pesos/month (almost 10k in hand). So I could live easily with my salary without eating my savings.
The rent was not included in my contract but I had the luck to be accepted in a sharing apartment I visited (2hrs after I landed :D). I stayed there 5 months for 2,000 pesos/month all included. Since June I moved In my own apartment in a "civilised" part of Baires (Recoleta) where I pay 3,100 pesos/month all included for an unfurnished studio. I found a guarantee and signed a 2 years lease.
Everything is good! Thanks

Hi!
So a year and 4 days after my first post where I was "Still asking myself" I read again the whole topic with your replies and advice.
I am still here in Capital :cool: working for the same company and the experience I gained in my field over this year as no price. So does the social aspect.
Of course I was paid in f****** pesos (the firm is Argentinean) :lol: but it was a good surprise to see that they finally paid me 12k pesos/month (almost 10k in hand). So I could live easily with my salary without eating my savings.
The rent was not included in my contract but I had the luck to be accepted in a sharing apartment I visited (2hrs after I landed :D). I stayed there 5 months for 2,000 pesos/month all included. Since June I moved In my own apartment in a "civilised" part of Baires (Recoleta) where I pay 3,100 pesos/month all included for an unfurnished studio. I found a guarantee and signed a 2 years lease.
Everything is good! Thanks

Great to hear! Goes to show you that everyone has a different experience, and you can only take the positive or negative recommendations from others so far (though it's always appreciated to hear the opinions of others who are living it), since in the end, the experience will only be what you make of it.

It all depends. If you are getting paid at the official or the blue rate. The first one is too little, the second one is plenty. Personally, I find Buenos Aires the best city in Latin America to live in, and the architecture would remind you of Paris and Madrid. The culture is completely italian, in every way!!!!! Good and bad!!!! Hope this helps.

Back