Stud Free Pub Documentary

Ries

Registered
Stud Free Pub was a very important part of Argentine Music History, but very short lived as well. In existence only from about 1982 to 1986 or so, dozens of really important early Rock Nacional bands played there. It was on Libertador, just north of the tunnel, in an old horse stable, an extremely funky dive bar. Today, of course
the neighborhood is fancy high rise apartment buildings, its quite posh.
But in the 80s, the area was practically a villa.

This new documentary just came out- it has been briefly availble free, but you may have to pay. I saw it last week, where it was free on thursday and friday, and it has been free a bit since. Soon enough, though, it will be more accessible, and its well worth watching if you are interested in Rock Nacional.

Interviews with many surviving musicians, interspersed with the tiny amount of footage that still exists. Not a lot of movie cameras in the early 80s. There is footage online of Sumo, performing one of its earliest concerts there, as well as some striking footage of Friccion, an early supergroup that influenced many, but was seen by few, in its first lineup, which was Christian Bass/Bass, Fernando Samalea/Drums, Richard Coleman/Guitar and Vocals, and Gustavo Cerati/Guitar.
They released albums later on, without Cerati, and some without Samalea, but the original quartet was amazing.
Having first visited Argentina in 2007, I obviously never went, although I do know a few people who did, and even a couple who played there.
Soda Stereo played some of its earliest shows there, along with Los Twist, and Los Encargados, and many more who went on to be quite famous.

here is the link to the film, which may or may not be watchable for free at any given day, but which does include a free trailer.

and here is a link to a Friccion song, with a shy Cerati hiding over on the right.
These 4 guys, between them, were present at so many important moments in Argentine music history, and probaby played on a 100 albums between them- and here, only Cerati was over 25- Basso was 20, the other two 23

I have heard it will be free again on the evening of the 4th of February, starting at 22 hours.

one minute of Sumo playing there- maybe 86 or 87.

Back