Subt/train Question

TomAtAlki

Registered
The other day I took a train on the Mitre line from Belgrano C to Acassuso. I used my Subt card to get into the station. When I got off in Acassuso there were turnstiles and I used my card to leave the station. Since I think there is a different price to different stations I assumed the entry and exit card swipes would talk to each other and I would be charged accordingly. I'm not sure but I think I was charge way more than I should have been.

Does anyone know the correct procedure when taking the train with a Subt card?

Thanks, T/

Hello Tom,

check the prices here. Check also the relevant webpage for news and info on how to use the SUBE card.

Basically, whenever you swipe your card, it charges you 3 ARS. If you swipe it back at your get off station, and it is a short ride (blue in the price table linked above), you get 1 ARS back (meaning that you pay just ARS 2). At most, you pay 3 ARS for a long ride or when you don't swipe your card again at your destination (regardless of the number of stops).
You can check your balance online and see how much you were charged.

There are many people who still don't get this new system, and often people from Trenes Argentinos instead of explaining them the drill, they just hands them to move on without paying (when entering at the first station). I was given a lecture by a lady at Tigre station on how me swiping my card on my way out was slowing down the flow of people getting off the train. I told her that I got on in San Isidro and this way I was just paying 2 ARS instead of 3 ARS, but she shrugged and looked at me like I were "that silly tourist that knows nothing".

ADD: The former price was 1,10 ARS until last november. The price increased when the new Chinese trains started riding.

This is confusing to me, because I've been paying 4.50ARS each time I got on the subway with my SUBE card. I scan it upon entering, and leave without doing anything. Are you certain that the Subway has discounts for short rides?

This only works for trains.

As for the Subway, you get a discounted price if you use it very often, the charge switches to $3.60 once you've done 20 trips in a month, $3.15 for 31-40 and $2.70 once you hit 41.

Wow... I've never paid for a train ride here. Is payment a requirement? :)

It's hard to avoid if you're getting on at a big station like Retiro or Tigre, but anywhere else and it's practically voluntary.

Back