Subte Crowding Levels During Peak Hours

MorganF

Registered
A question only for those of you who were also in BA ten or more years ago --

Is it me or is the subte slightly LESS crowded now, during peak hours, than it was 10-15 years ago? My main rush hour experience is on the D line so, in particular, that is what I'm referencing - but maybe it's a more general trend?

There is a high chance that this change is only in my imagination or my biased perception and does not correspond in any way to reality - which is why I wanted to get your thoughts.

If you weren't in BA ten or more years ago, please don't answer the question :) To be clear, I'll define 10 years or more ago as "on or before July 30, 2007". I'll check your passport stamps :) hehe

Wait 2007 was TEN years ago. This is news, I know. Now that is depressing!

Morgan

syngirl

Registered
There are more trains per line. I don't ride the D, but I can say the B is still as packed as ever, even with new trains on the line. They still have tonnes of old ones too, and those crappy ones from, I think, Barcelona that are terrible, 4 people facing each other and your knees bang up against each other all the time. the layout is awful. At least they have a/c.

John Doe

Registered
Didn't we read on BAEXPATS,recently, that the city wanted to rid the streets of cars? How will that effect the public transit systems? LOL

chris

Registered
There are more trains per line. I don't ride the D, but I can say the B is still as packed as ever, even with new trains on the line. They still have tonnes of old ones too, and those crappy ones from, I think, Barcelona that are terrible, 4 people facing each other and your knees bang up against each other all the time. the layout is awful. At least they have a/c.

I believe Madrid, not Barcelona. Other cars came from Japan - the Japanese were getting rid of their old equipment on the Marinouchi Line so they sold them to Argentina. I think the subway is even more crowded than a decade or two ago but maybe it's my imagination.