Subway theft and an expired ATM

emily.konocti

Registered
My husband was pick pocketed in the subway a few days ago. This is no news of course but the interesting thing was he was carrying an expired ATM in a "false wallet". The folks who stole it were able to use it even though it had expired and had a security code. Don't know how this was done but word to the wise it can be done. Fortunately he was able to check this account on line and will be able to get the fraudulent charges reversed. The people who did it had a good game-- they blocked the entrance of the car as we were getting on bumped my husband into another woman (part of it) and left the car as the doors were closing. What a way to make a living! Still had a glorious 3 weeks in BA--loved this town!

emily.konocti said:
My husband was pick pocketed in the subway a few days ago. This is no news of course but the interesting thing was he was carrying an expired ATM in a "false wallet". The folks who stole it were able to use it even though it had expired and had a security code. Don't know how this was done but word to the wise it can be done.

I don't think it's necessary to include expired credit/debit/atm cards in a false wallet, but if you include a biz card size "advertising" magnet the "secure" info on the magnetic strip will be destroyed. My false wallet is full of business cards and old plastic from insurance companies.

garygrunson said:
Wow, people actually carry fake or false wallets here? Seems a little excessive...

I never carry a wallet.

When I need cash, I make it a point to go directly to the ATM with just the debit card. I withdraw and then go directly home.

When I go out, I bring a copy of the passport and the amount of cash I'm going to need.

If you're going to carry a credit card, carry one that has a low credit limit and ideally would reimburse you if it were used fraudulently. But honestly, unless you're a high roller in BA, it's not necessary or even advantageous to carry plastic.

garygrunson said:
Wow, people actually carry fake or false wallets here? Seems a little excessive...

I don't think it's excessive, but I would be more concerned about an armed robbery than a picked pocket. Robbers expect you to hand over something and I don't think it would be wise to refuse. BA street thugs sometimes work in pairs: one grabs you in a bear hug from behind and you can't do anything to stop the other from removing the contents of your pockets.

I think the greatest chance of being robbed in the street would be just after someone observed you using an ATM. This is why I usually used the same ATM inside a Disco supermarket when withdrawing funds from my US bank. I always returned immediately to my apartment with the cash, the card, and the groceries.

Only once did I feel fingers (other than my own) entering my pocket on a crowded subway when I was on linea C on my way to El Centro to pay for a painting. Ironically, I had $1200 pesos in that same pocket, but I swatted away the perps hand before he got deep enough to reach the cash (or other "valuables").

Now that I'm 600 KM from the Capital, I leave my "false wallet" (containing a few pesos) on top of my heladera, along with an old watch, a broken cell phone, and my old Mexican FM3 (DNI). In case of a burglary, I hope the perps would just leave with them. The previous occupants of my house lived here without incident for 28 years, but there's a first time for everything.

An "ATM" is an Automatic Teller Machine.

How on earth did your husband fit one of those in his pocket?
And how could he not notice when a 2 meter tall, 500 kilo machine was taken from him?

My subte rides are usually much less exciting.
They put the hair pins or stickers in my lap, I give them the stinkeye, and they take them back.
The guy next to me listens to bad pop music on his headphones, and the lady on the other side of me snores.

Ries said:
An "ATM" is an Automatic Teller Machine.

How on earth did your husband fit one of those in his pocket?
And how could he not notice when a 2 meter tall, 500 kilo machine was taken from him?

My subte rides are usually much less exciting.
They put the hair pins or stickers in my lap, I give them the stinkeye, and they take them back.
The guy next to me listens to bad pop music on his headphones, and the lady on the other side of me snores.

Here is the explanation of what an ATM card:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATM_card
And I am not trying to lecture you: I had to look it up myself as I thought she was referring to a debit card (which is kind of the same from what I understood, I guess the only difference lies in the way you can pay for your purchases.) Also the word false wallet: I thought she was talking about a fake LV or D&G wallet...apparently that's something different also!
My Subte rides are kind of boring too: they usually start with a fight at the tickets office where I try to buy a return ticket with a 5 peso note and they say they don't have enough change to give me back. The variation is when I try to top up my Monedero and it falls 30 times on the floor as I try to stick it to the window. On the Subte I am usually squeezed in between a multitude of people so I don't really have time to understand what's going on, the best part of the trip, however, is when I get off at the Carlos Pellegrini stop to change line and spend 5 minutes in front of the big AC split they have there...

Back